Opened stock MAF (post delete)

95GTeee

Mar 9, 2004
Western CT
OK ... I probably just messed up my stock MAF, but I was gonna get a new Pro-M 80mm anyway. I am sure people have done this before, but are there any problems with deleting the center post of the stock MAF to open it up a little bit? I guess I should have asked this before I went nutty with the sawz-all and the dremel - but oh well. I kept a little of the rear plate at the rear of the sample tube, just in case it was needed for some reason. Other than than, I opened it all up and beveled the edge of the sample tube (outter and inner) for better aerodynamics. So ... like I said, anybody else done this with good results?

I also found my MAF wires to be coated with a soot looking coating - maybe it'll run better just because of that! Here are a couple pics:

• Sponsors (?)

OK ... yea, now the thing is all messed up! Don't try this at home kids! I don't think it's one of those things that will work itself out either. Maybe I have too much air or maybe when i shot the sensor with carb cleaner I messed something up. Oh well .... pro-m, here i come.

I did the same thing to mine... Couldnt tell a difference. No power gains and nothing went wrong... Did you leave the sensor in the MAF when cutting the post out? If so it probably shook it and screwed it up.

I did the same to mine except for the cleaning with carb cleaner. I took that back plate completely off too. I have no problems at all. I think it is actually running a little richer now because by taking off the back plate frees up some flow through the sample tube.

Yea ... I left the whole thing together when I cut out the center post. I realized that I left out a sentence on my original post too. After I said I saw the sooty looking stuff on the wires, I sprayed the inside of the tube with carb cleaner. Anyway ... does anyone have a stock MAF they'd be willing to sell me ... or maybe just loan me to make sure I didn't mess something else up??????? This is frustrating - it hardly runs now. Can the MAF do that??

95GTeee - I have a stocker I'll sell as I just got my Pro-M 80mm in the mail (and my car is in pieces right now, and will be for a while longer)...let me know if you want it, I could get it shipped to you tomorrow.