Options on what to do?

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
Hi i did a search and got alot of different opinions ..I have an 87 gt convertible...Car is still speed density with a powerdyne BD11a running 10 psi,i have a stage 2 snow performance water injection kit.I run 19 lb injectors with an FMU NO tune.I run 25 degrees timing locked..Car has an AOD with a mild stall about 2600 rpm's,shift kit,big trans cooler i run 3.55's car with me it weighs 3780..its heavy,..I ran a 1.8 60ft on a set on Mickey ET drag radials Ran a 13.3 @ 104 then got told i had to slow it down being its a vert with no roll bar rules say anything faster then 13.5 has to have it..I know the car has more in it..I want to go turbo but want to run the stock short block..Oh this car is bone stock from the intake to oil pan with a 70 mm tb.Shorty headers,offroad H-pipe,190 lph fuel pump....I want to add the turbo Convert to MAF,install a 340lph fuel pump,42#injectors and get it tuned...run about 6-8 psi How much HP will i make will i be able to get into the 11's?..Or should i add heads,intake,stock cam with 1.7's and turbo and good tune?..or try the stock long block with the turbo and see what i can get? Any help would be great thanks...Just thinking out loud I might stay with the long block and see what it does if I blow a head gasket then maybe i buy heads and stud it and new Head gaskets? just an idea...

• Sponsors (?)

I would personally add a nice set of aluminum heads, higher flowing intake of your choice, add a nice cam since they are cheap and you'll be into the motor already, MAF conversion, and a turbo....should meet your goals

if hes planning a turbo setup, he shouldnt buy a cam the stock block can crack with a stock cam and a decent turbo set up. If it were me id throw some 1.7s on it maybe a good set of heads, but think about this if your planning over 500 horse your pretty much on borrowed time. If your actually gonna build it I'm thinking a 351 is a better idea and holds alot more power and likes boost with less fear of splitting the block. Plus, "theres no replacement for displacement" especially at 14 psi on a 408 or something lol

if hes planning a turbo setup, he shouldnt buy a cam the stock block can crack with a stock cam and a decent turbo set up. If it were me id throw some 1.7s on it maybe a good set of heads, but think about this if your planning over 500 horse your pretty much on borrowed time. If your actually gonna build it I'm thinking a 351 is a better idea and holds alot more power and likes boost with less fear of splitting the block. Plus, "theres no replacement for displacement" especially at 14 psi on a 408 or something lol

Thanks... actually i want to keep the stock long block i am going to be adding a trickflow street heat intake..Im keeping the stock heads im not unbolting them until they blow the heads gaskets the place doing my install want to run 5-6 psi and tune from there...dont know how much HP i will make..Just hoping for high 11's..lol

That stock set of head gaskets may just surprise the crap out of you and not pop...just sayin. I pushed 10psi on stock felpro 8548 head gaskets under GT40 heads regularly and never had a moments issue. I wish I could get in touch with one of the cats I knew back in Temple-he fabbed a twin turbo kit (t3/t4) on his stock bottom end 5.0 hatchback, bolted on (IIRC) out of the box twisted wedges, and ran consistent 10s...I believe he did it with a T5 too. Believe it or not, autos kinda have an advantage there; since you don't have to shift, the boost won't drop between gears. But you'll really want to run a good trans cooler-extra horsepower means extra heat in the fluid-the stock one ain't gonna cut it...

Realistically though, if you want to do the MAF conversion and install a turbo setup, you can make 11s with what you have...you'll just need more than 5-6psi. I think Rick needs to chime in here, but with 3800lbs, you'll probably need at least 350-380rwhp to get into 11s. On top of that, you'll need to stiffen up the chassis and get a driveshaft loop (amongst other things) so you can be legal. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure NHRA says you need at least an 8 pt cage and 5pt harnesses to run 11s with a 'vert...?

There are tons of different ways to go about this, but if you're looking to get the most you can out of your stock long block before it says syonara, yours is def one way to do it. I'm kinda getting the impression that you want to maintain civil driveability with your car, keep the creature comforts, *and* be able to haul some booty when you feel froggy...sleeper-is that a fair assumption? All those things can be done with a turbo'd 5.0 or derivative. It just depends on how much you want to make, and how much you're willing to spend. Your route isn't a bad one IMO, but you need to solidify your decision before spending any money.

I just bought a TF street heat intake..i have a 70mm TB...I am going to purchase the ON3 turbo kit next week..With 42# injectors,340 lph fuel pump,I ordered the MAF conversion kit,turbo blanket,spark plug boots,heat wrap,AEM wide band gauge a pillar pod...The shop is going to get the MAF do the install and tune from there I also have on the car now i use it a snow perfromance stage 2 meth kit..I talked to them today they said dont touch the long block with a safe tune the head gaskets shouldnt blow...lol...I dont know im still confussed almost like i should do felpro 9333-pt1's with the studs just to be safe..But there telling let it raid if the head gaskets goes look for a set of heads and we install them and we can then up the boost more...Yes i want to keep all the comfort creatures...lol...Plus hit 11's....

I still think you'll be fine with moderate boost and a conservative tune. If you do pop a gasket, then yeah-stud it with the 9333s, but I'd bet you'll be fine...and you'll have a daily drivable fun car...that moves! Like I said though, don't neglect the chassis/suspension/brakes. Having power is only useful when it sticks, when it sticks, chassis-especially verts-flex, and speed demands equal or better braking. That is unless you enjoy soiling yourself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i think im going to leave the stock heads on without touching the head gaskets for now...If they pop i willupgrade to a set of heads and 9333 felpros and studs do 1.7 rollers and leave the stock cam..I just ope i make some decent HP til then and get the car into the 11's...we will see...

Depending on the engine's current condition (compression/leakdown), it may surprise you...never know.

Good luck!

I think the engine is in great shape..lol i have been running the supercharger for over a year..When i bought the car it had an older style paxton SN93 on it looked to have been on for yrs...It has an autometer Boost gauge faded..lol..an older style crane ignition system..A worked AOD...older style cat back...So im thinking this car had a blower on it most of its life..Maybe somewhere down the road the head gaskets were replaced ???..Im going to just go for it...LOL...

I think the engine is in great shape..lol i have been running the supercharger for over a year..When i bought the car it had an older style paxton SN93 on it looked to have been on for yrs...It has an autometer Boost gauge faded..lol..an older style crane ignition system..A worked AOD...older style cat back...So im thinking this car had a blower on it most of its life..Maybe somewhere down the road the head gaskets were replaced ???..Im going to just go for it...LOL...
Hey gerard is fredo doing the install....