OT: need advice on welders

67coupestang

Founding Member
May 31, 2002
I'm planning a little chassis work for this winter. I was wondering what would be an acceptable welder for frame work. I'm not looking for anything too fancy ($$$) and i dont plan on doing it at all fast so i dont need a high duty cycle. I have to wire the garage regardless so input volt is not a concern. I imagine a decent MIG? I want something versatile so i can maybe do some body work at least on the bronco also. and something easy to work with for a beginner. Also are there any good books out there to help me get started? I was weighing taking a welding class at the local Community College. Thanks for any advice you guys can throw my way!

• Sponsors (?)

How about a Lincoln Electric MIG PAC 10 runs on standard house current comes with everthing you need to get started even a little training video. After you get good at flux core welding, If you want to add shielding gas later then you can buy an adapter kit later. Thats what I have in my garage ( I haven't added gas yet but plan to in the near future). I have been using it to weld on new rear frame rails and traction bars etc. If you want to do more delicate stuff you will probably want to add shielding gas. At work we have a miller Mig Welder that is set up with triple mix shielding gas that is for more delicate stuff. It does a nice job at not burning through the thin stuff. The Miller one is probably more expensive. HTH.

If you are needing to run wires in the garage anyway I would look for a 240V Lincoln/Miller/Hobart. The reason I say go for the 240 is once you start welding you will realize how much stuff you can/want to build and the 110V machines can reach their limit pretty fast with the heavier steel. I have a 110V Lincoln and it is perfect for sheetmetal bodywork. However a friend has a 240V Lincoln and it does just as well with the sheetmetal and much better with 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 plate, etc.

I also recommend that you spring for a welder that is already set up for shielding gas. For body work you want to run the thinnnest wire available and it is only available solid. Bodywork can be done with flux core wire but it is easier and cleaner if you use solid wire and shielding gas.

Pretty much all the sheetmetal on our mustangs falls within the capabilities of the 110V boxes. Its the Engine stands, rotisseries, welding tables, BBQ Smokers, and various projects that will make you long for more power.