OT: Those of you with trucks, need some suggestions

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i see alot of guys with trucks in the 5.0 section, so i wanted to ask here. so yesterday i got rid of my cobra. the new toy setup plan is almost complete.

quad and the kia are here now. i am looking for a truck as a second vehicle, and also to put my quad in. so basically i just need a 6 foot bed and 4x4 from the truck. id like something nice though, not a rat trap pos that barely runs to move it around.

i was shopping for ram 1500's, toyota tacoma, ect. looked at the sub-30k price range. now that ive thought about it more, im moving the range down to like 15k and under. as it wont be driven much and sit 95% of the time.

what would you guys go for? i havent really shopped for much that wasnt new, i want a ranger size pickup to 150/1500 size max. no f250/350's, ect.

let me know what you suggest, im open to almost anything at this point. i know its kind of a broad question, but i think its easy enough to give a recommendation.

• Sponsors (?)

You can find some really nice 99-02 F150's with the 5.4, extra cab, 4x4 for your budget, easily. My brother just sold his 99 that he put 180k miles on with nearly zero problems (alternator, bettery, brakes, etc.) was a GREAT truck! he sold it for like 6k, so somebody got a solid truck for nearly nothing.
Edit: just go drive some diesels, especially ones with the exhaust and programmers, just soo you know what your missing ;)

2001 Single cab dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 318 small lift kit and some nice BFG mud terains!

I have a 2001 single cab ram 1500 with a v6 2wd :notnice: I love the truck and it handles awesome for a truck i just really wanna swap a viper drivetrain in it, I had a 95 with a 318 and it got the same gas mileage and actully had some power.

yeah, im kinda looking at f-150's.

kinda partial to the extended cab look of trucks also, so i dont know if id buy a single cab ram.

im going to start seriously looking next weekend i think. will give me some time to do research at least. thanks for the suggestions, giving me a better range of stuff to look at.

I got my 98 Chevrolet Silverado Ext Cab. 5.7L 4x4 Short-Wide bed with 128k for $9500 a few months ago; they were asking $11k.

Just an idea...I love my truck and everyone says they go forever. I looked for two months to find a nice one.

Don't mess around with small trucks, since you have a Kia gas saver, and the full sizes don't get bad gas milege, or at least my chevy doesn't. Small trucks will just come out short. They can't tow anything decent, your so limited.

Being an auto tech, for an independent, from what I see, if your going to get a full size 1500, get a Chevy Silverado. That is why I bought mine. Mine has the 4.8L LS1, which makes 280hp, and on a short bed, single cab, is decently quick. Not Cobra fast by any means, but when you press the gas, it accelerates strong. The gas milege is good as well. Dodges drink gas, and all I have to say is the Fords and Dodges don't hold up as well when they get older. Now, if you really want a hauler, Dodge 2500+ CTD. :worship:

look in my sig at the 92 Z71...I love it and they can be had cheap. The box on mine will hold a 4X4 quad with big mud tires. The width of my box is 49 inches and 6 feet long. not bad gas mileage and lot's of power (350 EFI)...Oh I paid $2000 CDN but it needed some body work (cost me under $400 for the complete job plus I bought new fenders and cab corners..cause my Dad has a body shop and everything was at cost)