overheating ?

ok, heres the deal... i just got the 351 back together after the winter freshen-up. parts replaced were as follows: cam & lifters (frpp A-332) timing chain, intake (weiand stealth with 600 holley, jetted at 66) frpp water pump (fleabay, guy said it was from a crate motor set up for v belt) my problem is as soon as the engine fired, it started getting hot, temp gauge pegged, (i assumed it was a steam pocket, and didnt give it much thought) until i realized it wasnt, and shut the engine down. now im talking 3 minutes, tops! question is, how do i tell if the water pump is for v belt or serpentine? btw, the engine is an '85 351 police pkg. which came with a std. rotation, serpentine belt setup

• Sponsors (?)

im not to sure it matters what belt you run as far as cooling goes. the V belt is V shaped and the other is flat and about 1 1/8 inch wide. if its getting hot that fast and you changed the water pump recently you should make sure you have the right rotation pump. if it was sitting a wile then the T stat might have corroded shut. you said that you changed the intake so maybe you didnt seal the water jackets good enough and water is going right into the oil valley.
(ive done this b4). then again it could just need a good burping. air pockets can suck.

Here is some info I found on another site. See if you can match any of the part #'s to your pump (if you can find any)to see which one you have.

2000 FRPP catalog:
M-8501-B50 Premium reverse rotation serpentine belt aluminum water pump for 1986-1993 5.0L engines
M-8501-F351 Premium standard rotation aluminum water pump for 1970-78 5.0L and 1970-87 351W engines
M-8501-C50 Reverse rotation serpentine belt aluminum water pump for 1986-93 5.0L engines