overheating

mach_fox

May 26, 2007
i have a 93 mustang, i built a 289 for it, carburated. the car has been overheating lately, and i dont know why, i had a 160 stat in it, so i switched it to a 180, the car was good for about a month, and started overheating again. so put a new 160 in it, and put a mechanical guage in it, in case the guage was reading wrong, but not the case, it is still over heating. so i moved on to the radiator, (3 row aluminum) wich i found was plugged up, so i bought a new radiator. my radiator had a electric fan on it wired in to key on power, so it is on all the time. i put the new radiator in, and the car still overheats. i have also checked to see if the water pump was pumping, i took the cap off, and there was a good ammount of coolant flowing through the tubes while the car was running. does anyone have any idea what is going on, cause i neeed to fix this before i drive it to carlisle all ford on thursday.....PLEASE HELP ME!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Why was the radiator clogged up? Is there that much debris floating around your cooling system? You might want to look at installing a Gano filter in the upper radiator hose if you think that is the issue. Check the radiator cap to ensure you are building up pressure in the system. How much CFM is the electric fan doing, is there a shroud around the fan. I am guessing you are using a puller behind the radiator, are there any obstructions in front of it. Is the A/C condensor free of debris to allow air to the radiator. With the fan on, you should be able to feel the air being drawn from in front of the radiator. Those are just a couple of my thoughts. This is a classic forum, so you may not get many responses, but that should give you a place to start.