P0457 Code even after replacing cap

jeffnoel

Founding Member
Aug 31, 2002
Clovis, CA
Got a P0455 code awhile back and then the check gas cap light came on. I purchased a new cap and cleared the code and gas cap light with my Predator. I little while later the check gas cap light came back on. Then after driving a couple hundred more miles the SES light came on. I pulled the codes this morning and I have a P0457 which is fuel cap off or loose. I need to get the car smogged in the next couple weeks to renew the registration so I need to get it fixed.

I talked with the company that handles our Company fleet vehicles and the said they would smoke test it to find the leak but that they have seen quit a few that the problem is the actual fuel filler hose which costs a couple hundred $$ plus the cost of the smoke test and the labor to install the hose he said worst case I was looking at around $800. I also called the Ford dealer (Future Ford of Clovis) that sold us the Mustang and he said the fill hose was unlikey and that it was more likely a vent hose or a valve that he said was around $200 installed for either one so with the smoke test and parts install from the dealer he said more likely around $4-500.

I know alot of people don't like dealing with dealerships but given my situation what would you do? The car is an 02 GT that just hit the 90K mile mark. I plan on having the work done next week so I've got a few days to make my decision.

thanks for all replies

• Sponsors (?)