PA guys.. how strict is your inspection?

RacEoHolic330

I like to dress like a pretty girl
15 Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Allentown, PA
I'm moving to Lehigh county this summer with the family and I'm kind of concerned about the stang. I'm worried it won't pass emissions or other parts of the test. I could probably tune it with my PMS to bring down the hydrocarbon count. Major mods are a vortech s-trim, afr 165s, b-31 cam, holley intake, no smog pump. It does have cats though, which should help.

Also, I retrofitted a pair of HID projectors out of a BMW into my housings. The problem is that I'm not able to flash my high beams when the headlights are not turned on. When they're on, I can flash my high beams. This is because there is only 1 filament and there is a shutter that opens and closes for the high beam.

However, I will be getting an SVT contour as a daily driver for college, so I could get special insurance on the stang that might elminate it from inspection. Basically, I just need to know how strict everything is there. Sorry for the long post.

thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on what kind of inspection you have... In Berks, all it is for 95 and older cars is a visual inspection. 95 and newer have a machine that plugs into the OBD II port and can be passed with a set of MIL Eliminators. So if it's just a visual check, you can just find a friendly mechanic.

Andy

part of the visual for smog though will hurt missig the smog pump will fail you at most shops- I'm getting my II tagged as a classic to get around emissions- headers, no smog pump or heat exchanger. Any of the strict smog crap for the 70's is long gone, and NOT going back on.

RacEoHolic330 said:
However, I will be getting an SVT contour as a daily driver for college, so I could get special insurance on the stang that might elminate it from inspection.

just so you know, special insurance wont exempt you from inspection. the only thing that might help you is if you drive your car less than 5000 miles per year, you can be exempted from emissions testing. how it works is, you have your car inspected this year, if you drive it less than 5k miles till next year, show the inspection station some documentation, you are then issued an emissions sticker that is marked "Exept" and a paper that certifies everything that you carry with you. anything over 5k per year and you must get emissions testing done along with your safety inspection. i take it you are talking about the '88 Stang? in most counties, you have only a visual and a gas cap pressure test for emissions. if you live in Philly or Pitt, im not sure but i believe everyone has a sniffer.

95 and newer have the OBD-II diagnostic port checked for codes(no CEL or similar, you pass), and Gas Cap Pressure test

you have OBD-I which i explained above

74/75 ish(prior to Cat's) and older are exept alltogether from emissions testing

As far as safety inspection goes, most states have similar laws. here is a little loop hole i learned about from a guy i work with. before you transfer your registration to PA(i believe you have 30 days), go to a shop in PA or a State Police barrak and ask if they can do a quick "once over" if its good, then go ahead and transfer the tags with the DMV. after you do you only have 10 days to get it inspected

Thanks for the replies. I have NJ Manufacturers insurance, which is also good in PA. They go by days. You get a special type of insurance if you drive the car for a certain numbr of days during the year. I'll have to talk to my dad about the details. We'll be moving to Lower Macungie which is in Lehigh county. I shouldn't have a problem with emissions if I de-tune the car. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

VividDreams said:
just so you know, special insurance wont exempt you from inspection. the only thing that might help you is if you drive your car less than 5000 miles per year, you can be exempted from emissions testing. how it works is, you have your car inspected this year, if you drive it less than 5k miles till next year, show the inspection station some documentation, you are then issued an emissions sticker that is marked "Exept" and a paper that certifies everything that you carry with you. anything over 5k per year and you must get emissions testing done along with your safety inspection. i take it you are talking about the '88 Stang? in most counties, you have only a visual and a gas cap pressure test for emissions. if you live in Philly or Pitt, im not sure but i believe everyone has a sniffer.

95 and newer have the OBD-II diagnostic port checked for codes(no CEL or similar, you pass), and Gas Cap Pressure test

you have OBD-I which i explained above

74/75 ish(prior to Cat's) and older are exept alltogether from emissions testing

As far as safety inspection goes, most states have similar laws. here is a little loop hole i learned about from a guy i work with. before you transfer your registration to PA(i believe you have 30 days), go to a shop in PA or a State Police barrak and ask if they can do a quick "once over" if its good, then go ahead and transfer the tags with the DMV. after you do you only have 10 days to get it inspected
hey guys.....just to let ya know, they added the visual to state inspection requirements. so if your car is 5000 mile exempt you still need to pass state inspection with the required emissions equipment for that vehicle...example....the 88 mustang gets a 5000 mile exempt sticker no problem...but when it comes to state insp., the ari pump, cats,pcv,egr..etc..have to be there and APPEAR to be hooked up and working(operative word being appear).i know this cause im a licensed state insp. mech. in pa....emissions tests and procedures are different depending on what county your car is registered in so your best bet is to stop by a shop in that area to get the low down from the area youll be getting your car inspected in....hope this helps....oh...and if you happened to get your car thru since that change went into effect(recently, not sure of exact date...jan sometime i think) then you definately have a "friend" in the business!!!!!