PA Performance

Shakerhood

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 28, 2004
Ohio
I was reading PA Performance 3G Install Recommendations, any idea why they want you to leave the Black-Orange Wires in place and why they have a 200 Amp Fuse for a 130 Amp Alternator? Neither of those decisions makes any sense...

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure about why the fuse is so big but hey, thats what is recommended. I got this response a while ago on another forum from a guy that builds these wire upgrade kits and sells them. I think its a pretty good explanation

I usually avoid this discussion, but...
I like those two 10 gauge wires hooked up with the 4 gauge wire. It looks cleaner. You don't have unprofessional taped up hot ends hiding in your harness. Those wires are hot, hooked up or not. The same fusible link has the same power going through it, hook up or not.
The fire hazard comes from those overloaded factory 10 gauge wires heating up, melting the 2G power connector, then blowing the fusible link (potential fire). The added 4 gauge wire relieves the circuit from overheating and there's no 2g connector to melt.
The only real threat of leaving the 10g wires hooked up, is if the 4 gauge wire fuse blew, leaving the fuse link there to protect the circuit alone. But that's unlikely, because the 4 gauge wire circuit protection is such that the event of a dead ground, the fusible link would go first.

Your car with a 3G hooked up with or without the factory 10g charge wires, is sooooooo much safer as far as fires, than the stock 2G alternator was with that 10g wire alone.

Thanks very much for the input, it just seems to me that electricity is going to follow the least path of resistance which may end up being the Black-Orange wires and then I dont think a 200 Amp Fuse is going to do its job on a 130 Amp Alternator.