Painless install help.

smitzer

Founding Member
Sep 23, 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello, I am installing the painless wiring kit and had a couple of questions. The kit includes a new ballast resistor. I don't have an old ballast resistor to remove. So the question is to I need to run one? This car has the early Pertronix 1 system in it with the Flamethrower Coil. Not sure the ballast is required??? Also not sure if it was possible that the old ballast was removed during Pertronix install.

Second question: the instructions say if you are using an electronic ignition, you need to install a diode into the wire from the "I" terminal of the starter solenoid to the "+" side of the coil to the balast resistor wire. So I guess my question here is is the Pertronix system fully considered the type of electronic ignition that requires this? I guess I am confused because I am comparing the Pertronix to something like the MSD.

thanks for your help!
smitz

• Sponsors (?)

You don't need the ballast with the Petronix setup. The ballast basically regulates the current to protect points ignition. I wouldn't mess with the diode unless it will void any warranties if you leave it out. I would just put an in-line fuse in that side if it were me to protect from surges. Diodes are used to keep the current going in one direction(won't surge backwards). It depends on how modern the rest of your ignition system is. If the only upgrade is the Petronix guts, then I might use the diode.