Painting Turbine Rims Gloss Black

qcrun98

Sep 11, 2005
Moline, IL
I am looking to paint my Turbine Rims on my 89 Gloss Black. I have painted body parts before and am familiar with how to do this but is their anything special I would have to do to prep these rims. Like do Turbines have paint on them that need to be stripped or anything like that? Thanks for any information that can be provided.

• Sponsors (?)

I painted my turdbines once, flat black though. A turbine is a trubine, a terd is a terd, paint it any color you want, it's still the same. I just washed them, then spray painted them. I did it because I didn't have money for other rims at the time and they were so discolored and stained.

That is the reason I am I going to paint them also. Because I don't have the money for rims and they are dis-colored. Thanks you all for the info I will prep them just as I would a body piece and paint them with Gloss Black and throw down a coat of clear coat. Thanks alot.

not to steal your thread or anything, but i was wondering what kind of spray paint to use? I was thinking of repainting mine since there discolored and all that. I was going to paint them a color close to what they already are. Do i have to prime them first?

Oh yea and after you repaint them, can you still use rim cleaner or will it ruin the paint on the rims?

blake89stang said:
i painted my pony wheels graphite about 1 1/2 months ago. still looks great. i 1 coat primer, 3 coats paint and 4 coats clear.

now im working on the TB and EGR:D

Post a pic if you can, I would like to see how they look darker.

I used wal-mart paint stripper and duplicolor paint on mine...

IMG_6089Medium.jpg

Used same method and paint brand for the Black wheels on my Lightning

IMG_7228Medium.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6089Medium.jpg
    IMG_6089Medium.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_7228Medium.jpg
    IMG_7228Medium.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 225
dkins419 said:
not to steal your thread or anything, but i was wondering what kind of spray paint to use? I was thinking of repainting mine since there discolored and all that. I was going to paint them a color close to what they already are. Do i have to prime them first?

Oh yea and after you repaint them, can you still use rim cleaner or will it ruin the paint on the rims?
auto zone carrys dupli color wheel paint. thats what i use and it looks awesome!!

If you're gonna use a clear for protection -- then I'd use a flat or satin black paint. The flat is rough enough you can go right over it with clear. With a gloss black, you'll have to scuff them before you put the clear over it.

qcrun98 said:
That is the reason I am I going to paint them also. Because I don't have the money for rims and they are dis-colored.

The stock turbines have a really tough and thick clear coat on them. Jasco graffiti remover(spray) takes it off resonably well and I imagine their epoxy remover(brush on) does too. I stripped and painted two of the turbines on my previous '89 GT that way, but I painted them clear again. It turned out better than they were, but the only good option for stock wheels is to have them professionally refinished.

Personally, though, I think turbines look horrible painted in any color. Same with Ponies and LX 10-holes.