pep boys brakes review

Frumious B.

Apr 26, 2003
Texas
ok, so I'm a big sissy compared to everyone here and I have to take my car somewhere to get the brakes done. The pads need to be replaced, the rotors definately need machining, and the bearings need to be repacked. I didn't inspect the rear brakes, but the shoes probably need to be replaced, too, since they are the same age as the pads. Pep Boys is having a sale. Does anyone have any opinions about the quality of their parts / labor? I notice they have a lot of different parts options, are the higher priced pads worth getting or should I just stick with the basic package?

What about other chains, any recommendations?

Thx,
Lizz

• Sponsors (?)

you get what you pay for....so if you can afford expensive stuff and are going to need to drive the car for say the next 3 years, then the better quality parts are prolly a better investment for you. I generally by the cheapest parts and install them myself, and I never buy a warranty, that is just the best option for me. Once i get my car painted and fixed up and it isn't a daily driver any more, then some more expensive, higher quality parts will be in order.

A shop like pepboys is alright because they are a big chain, so they generally stand by their work, (although i wouldn't trust anyone but myself to work on my cars). Stay away from street corner garages and private businesses ect. Those guys will bone you.

On a side note, just buy new rotors and new bearings, turning rotors and just repacking bearings is the cheap (wrong) way to do things. Getting the drums turned in the back is fine if your doing those tho.

Frumious B. said:
ok, so I'm a big sissy compared to everyone here and I have to take my car somewhere to get the brakes done. The pads need to be replaced, the rotors definately need machining, and the bearings need to be repacked. I didn't inspect the rear brakes, but the shoes probably need to be replaced, too, since they are the same age as the pads. Pep Boys is having a sale. Does anyone have any opinions about the quality of their parts / labor? I notice they have a lot of different parts options, are the higher priced pads worth getting or should I just stick with the basic package?

What about other chains, any recommendations?

Thx,
Lizz
Dont do i work for a ford dealer in ct and have seen to many pep boy specials come in ,so after you spend money and you think you saved a bit youll need pads in 6 months and the rotors will squeal like hell anf they will replace the pads lifetime warranty but you will pay the labor again. bring it to your ford dealer the factory stuff is best may cost a little more but in the end it worth it.

Willy0314 said:
A shop like pepboys is alright because they are a big chain, so they generally stand by their work, (although i wouldn't trust anyone but myself to work on my cars). Stay away from street corner garages and private businesses ect. Those guys will bone you.

CORPORATE garages(Pepboys and Exxon) are the ones that bone you. In my expierience it is the guy (most often, but not always)who runs his own shop who will look out for you...but I agree it is best to wrench on your own ride...

Having worked a Pep Boys, the local Ford dealer, and a Meineke in my town I can say Meineke is the best. Pep Boys parts suck. The dealer doesn't look out for the customer. When I was at the dealer if brakes were squeaking then it was called "normal brake noise". Any noise from the brakes is not right. At Meineke, which are all privately owned shops fyi, the customer rules. If anything is wrong we fix it. Granted nothing should be wrong but if it is we fix it.