PI Head Question - Big problem, please help

AquamanCHS

Sep 17, 2003
N. VA
I recently got a set of PI heads off a wrecked car that was advertised as having "low end damage" and no damage done to the heads. I've been busy lately and took an opportunity to clean em off today so they could look good for the install and I found a problem.

On one of the heads, in one of the combustion chambers, the smaller valve (exhaust, I think?) is clearly bent. On further inspection, above that same bent valve is a missing piece (rocker? lifter?).. it's the piece that's in direct contact with the camshaft lobe.

So what can I do about this? I'm going to contact the seller, obviously, but he's away for vacation currently. Would it be possible just take the missing/damaged parts off of my non-pi heads when I get it swapped or will that not work?

Any input it appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

the bent valve can be replaced. i think sean hyland sells stock replacement valves. the "rocker" is called a finger follower, or just follower on 4.6 motors. they can also be replaced. it might be a good idea to take the heads to a good machine shop near you and have them disassemble the heads and inspect for damage and then do a 3 angle valve job. i dunno how much you paid for them, but having that done is worth it to make sure that there isnt any problems later on.

EDIT: the seat might have to be replaced on the bent valve. also having bronze valve buides installed would be a worthy option.

bdcardinal said:
the bent valve can be replaced. i think sean hyland sells stock replacement valves. the "rocker" is called a finger follower, or just follower on 4.6 motors. they can also be replaced. it might be a good idea to take the heads to a good machine shop near you and have them disassemble the heads and inspect for damage and then do a 3 angle valve job. i dunno how much you paid for them, but having that done is worth it to make sure that there isnt any problems later on.

EDIT: the seat might have to be replaced on the bent valve. also having bronze valve buides installed would be a worthy option.

Great, this is good news. How much would the machine shop work go for, do you think? Also, is the smaller valve intake or exhaust? If it's exhaust then Sean Hyland's site doesn't list any valve seats for the 2v engine, only 4v. And Sean Hyland's site lists the part I'm missing as a "Rocker Arm":

6564-1.jpg

Would I be able to replace the valve or does it take a professional to handle it? Also, what benefit would I gain from changing my valve guides?

Just go to your local ford dealer if you are getting stock valves. It was going to cost around $30 for all 8 drivers side head valves before I found out that my head was damaged also, so I just did the whole PI swap. So I'd think that one valve wouldn't be more than $5. Should be a pretty cheap fix, plus what the shop will charge you for labor.

AquamanCHS said:
Great, this is good news. How much would the machine shop work go for, do you think? Also, is the smaller valve intake or exhaust? If it's exhaust then Sean Hyland's site doesn't list any valve seats for the 2v engine, only 4v. And Sean Hyland's site lists the part I'm missing as a "Rocker Arm":

Would I be able to replace the valve or does it take a professional to handle it? Also, what benefit would I gain from changing my valve guides?

Rebuilding a cylinder head requires expertese and special equipment so I doubt it's a DIY project for the average guy. I'm pretty sure that there are precise tollerances between the valve stem and valve guide, and that the valve seats are cut into the head and are not a replacement part.

Having the heads totally redone will be pretty expensive, SH sells the PI heads for $395 per side, they claim this is cheaper. Maybe if a machine shop can do a partial rebuild it would work out cheaper for you.

Keep in mind that if a valve was bent then the chances are good that the valve guide, valve seat, and maybe even the cam shaft have been damaged as well. I wonder where the missing rocker is? Likely it has been destroyed.

BTW, the exhaust valve is the smaller one.