Pics of the Rust Resto SVO 1E

Xaranthu

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2002
New York
The car is here. A few surprises in a good way, along with some unexpected body damage and bumper cover issues, but all in all not bad for a sight unseen deal. Be interesting to see what else is done to this car... you'll get what I mean when you see the pics.

rusty1.jpg

rusty2.jpg

rusty3.jpg

rusty4.jpg

rusty5.jpg

rusty6.jpg

rusty7.jpg

You are looking at air bags and an 8.8 rear end by the looks of things. We've got to pop the diff cover to see what's in there.

I can't believe the interior, but I don't think those seats were in this car much; missing a rear bolt on both fronts. The tranny tunnel hole was cut wide but the stock T5 is in there, there is a balance bracket on the end of the tanny, the big counter weight was shaved off the drive shaft. I don't know if there was any engine work. I'll look closer tomorrow.

Car needs a lot of cosmetic work, rust repair and paint, but not much else. Only one small bit of rust at the drivers’ seat bolt and the rest of the pan is solid.

I'm going to do my best to trace the history of the car. Should be interesting.

Z.

• Sponsors (?)

As far as rust goes, it's about 200 percent better than I was expecting. Just means it gets restored to stock and no T-Roof swap in like I was hoping. It gets put away after the blown freeze plug is replaced and we'll dig into it once the 2R Restomod86 project is complete.

Subframes won't protect you from body rot; just stop weak spots in the pan from cracking due to flex. From the looks of the car it was set up for somewhat serious drag racing and surprisingly there are no visible fractures; only know for sure by talking to the original owner. We are going to take the car down to metal at the joints where the rust is the worst right away, and go from there. It's a restore project named Rusty, so we are going in with eyes open. I'll add that other than a bit of rust right by the drivers seat right rear bolt, the bottom of this car is very clean. Only pulling the carpet will tell the real tale. I'll post an update on what we find in a few weeks.

Z.