Pinion shaft lock bolt SNAPPED!

MAXX RS4

Jun 1, 2005
I'm replacing my driver's side axle and now I've come across a problem. I opened up the diff housing and all that and I got to the bolt that holds the pinion shaft from sliding out of the differential. I removed the bolt easily and then I notice only about 1/3 of the bolt came out. Half the of the threaded part is still in the diff housing and the rest is in the shaft. I can't remove the axle without first getting this shaft out to remove the c-lock!

Is this situation even possible to have fixed or is my entire rearend going to have to be removed and have it machined out??

Nothing goes easy with this car.

• Sponsors (?)

Here are pics to show how much of the bolt came out.
You can see a score line in one picture where the bolt remains inside. The other picture shows the actualy bolt and its lined up against where it broke inside the diff casing.
rear2.jpg

rear3.jpg

Attachments

• rear2.jpg
    rear2.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 841
  • rear3.jpg
    rear3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,749
I'm afraid that if I use a bolt extractor, I'll screw up the threads and have to retap that ****. Which in itself could make things a hell of a lot more difficult.

I think I'm going to use a stone grinder and eat away at the top of the pinion shaft until the bolt is exposed. I'll then slide the shaft out and try to remove the remaining bolt piece..

If everything decides to go wrong (which with my car - will) then I'll end up drilling the crap out of it and replace the posi with something nicer..

good job man!! haha

i did this EXACT same thing to my '86 chevy truck 2 years ago. snapped the pinion shaft bolt in half, which caused damage to the pinion shaft and carrier. so i upgraded to an eaton posi and 3.73 gears from the stock open diff and 2.73's

Yea, I don't know why I continuously call it the pinion shaft..

I didn't snap this bolt myself.. I backed the bolt out by hand very easily and didn't even apply much pressure. It just unscrewed that way..?

WHOA! Man, thats literly a nightmare. One of the few things I would HATE to happen. Yep and easy out.....if you cant get it, then your screwed. You will have to take a cutting torch to it, or a drill....I would drill between the pin, and where the bolt is. That should allow it to come out. (big bit to make sure...just go from small and work your way up)

40th 2004Stang said:
Something you might try is a left handed drill bit. You'll need to center punch the bolt to get the small bit to stick, but I've had great success with those. The bolts have all just backed right out. Good Luck!

What do you mean center punch? Is that when you use that pointy thing and hammer a dent into the screw? i have those ez-out remover things but i'm weary that it'll actually work..

Ho yeah tons of fun here, it looks like the bolt has been sheered off and I hope it was not cross threaded during the original install. e-z out might not do the job. If you going to try and e-z out it whne you are drilling the pilot hole make sure you have setup some sort of damn to make sure no metal filings get into the gears.:eek:

Dude, that sucks! Even if you could get a left-handed drill bit to take a bite into it, that bolt isn't threaded the length of the shaft - the part that goes into the cross pin is thread-less. I would think an EZ-out may be your only choice. May be a job that will prove easier with the carrier sitting on your work bench . . .

Either way, good luck!

This is one reason im reluctant to install my gears. The car has over 120,000 miles and im sure this will happen. I have all the parts sitting in the garage.

Intrested how your gonna do it. Careful with any extractor tools, if it doesn't come off with slight moderate force, don't give it more. Last thing you need is to snap the bit off and creat a bigger mess. Good Luck!

The method I'm going to take:
I'm going to use an extractor (craftsman ez out) and slide a thin copper tube into the hole. This will hopefully protect the diff house theads and then I'll put the extractor through the pipe to get to the screw. I'll try to back it out that way.

If the extractor fails, I'm going to grind the **** away from the top of the shaft to expose the screw and hopefully get it through that way. If I still can't manage to get the screw out, or the threads in the housing are butched, then I'll just drill it all out and go pick up a diff from a junkyard and use it for pieces.

Wish me luck.