Electrical PIP sensor replacement

PIP sensor on my 87 GT died. I have gone through one new parts store replacement distributor that was junk, then three Cardone rebuilt units that were also junk. Luckily my guy has some NOS PIP sensors so we are just going to rebuild my existing distributor. My question is, and yes I know they are now obsolete. But does anyone know of any honey holes left that may have some original PIP sensors? Or have had good luck in the aftermarket units?

• Sponsors (?)

Standard consolidated the pip sensor so there all the same now, in the t and none t series for the lx222 on the new stuff. motor craft is an absolute pita to find unless you run all the old part numbers and luck out there pretty much gone. The oem(brand standard owns, not ford) one is still kind of crappy and looks like a reboxed Regitar from the molding.. Other then that only 2 other manufacturers make them now that I know ofnos, Regitar/trans pro/WIA global, cheap China unit and Wells WVE 4P1258. Of those I'd look for old stock lx222's, then the wells.

It's a simple hall effect sensor, if your going threw them chances are your getting trash inside the distutor that's triggering it or the reluctor wheel is messed up, check the shaft play and see how clean it is, the bushing may be worn out in the shaft, the aftermarket China full distributor units use a cheap ass bearing and they like to seize up.

I have a brand new motorcraft pip in the box :oops:

I bought a tfi and a pip some years back I was going to re do a stock distributor I had . I have a dual sync in my car now . I may let it go if you wanted it shoot me a pm

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up getting one from Napa but this was at least 10 years ago. Short story long is that the hall effect sensor failed on the existing distributor. When I pulled it out the shaft had all kinds of end play and side to side play. I grabbed a new Ford hall effect sensor and salvaged the TFI module and reluctor wheel off the old distributor out of my car. I used the body and shaft from the new unit from Napa and installed the new Ford hall effect sensor and the used Ford TFI module and reluctor wheel to make one good distributor. This solved some high RPM breakup that the car was having which made sense with how wore out it was. It is in the 331 now and had some 7,000 plus pulls on the dyno with zero issues. Stock block so the 6.400 rpm chip in back in the 6AL.

Moral of the story is that if you can find a Ford TFI (they are different for the auto and manual transmissions), a Ford hall effect sensor, and keep the Ford reluctor wheel to put on a good reman unit you should be good to go.