please help, engine skipping, running out of ideas.

I made need a little extra help on some info with this. So if anyone else can add to it, please do. If you have access to a Scanner. I know that the Snap-On Solus scanners have this feature, you will need a K-2A key, not sure about others. You can go to generic functions, then either continuous or non-continuous monitors(can't remember exactly which at the moment), and then go to function 52 or 53, once again can't remember exactly which one. This will show you any misfires in the engine and which cylinders they are in. Its quite helpful. Hope this helps. And I apologize for not remembering exactly all the info, but its been a while since I have done that.

• Sponsors (?)

The vacuum hose you're describing sounds like the PCV tube. This runs from the passenger side valve cover and connects to the intake plenum ("block that says 4.6"; the throttle body is attached to the intake plenum and is what the air intake connects to) in order to "ventilate" the crankcase gases and route them back to be further combusted. If this hose is truly collapsed, I would imagine you'd see the same symptoms as a blocked PCV valve, rough running, loss of power, etc. An easy test to check if the hose is truly collapsed would be to, with the engine idling, pulling the hose off at the PCV valve. If the car stalls then the hose is not restricted, if it does not stall then the hose might be collapsed or your PCV valve is bad.

hey gdawg, im having electrical issues... where can i get an electrical check (for nothing)?

Check with Auto Zone. I think they will run a diagnostics test for free.

The vacuum hose you're describing sounds like the PCV tube. This runs from the passenger side valve cover and connects to the intake plenum ("block that says 4.6"; the throttle body is attached to the intake plenum and is what the air intake connects to) in order to "ventilate" the crankcase gases and route them back to be further combusted. If this hose is truly collapsed, I would imagine you'd see the same symptoms as a blocked PCV valve, rough running, loss of power, etc. An easy test to check if the hose is truly collapsed would be to, with the engine idling, pulling the hose off at the PCV valve. If the car stalls then the hose is not restricted, if it does not stall then the hose might be collapsed or your PCV valve is bad.

Yup...

appreciate it guys, checked the hose, replaced it none the less with one that is stronger and currently not collapsed. I pulled the PCV valve to see if it was stuck closed, which it wasn't, so the whole situation with the PCV hose and valve was not the source of my problem. I just got a new fuel filter and a set of spark plugs, I'll be changing the driver's side plugs today or tomorrow and I'll let you guys know if that does the trick.

again, thank you for the help

Hey had this problem with my 00 GT! Easy and cheap! Go to Autozone or wherever and buy 8 new rubber boots between the coil and plug. It can have a pin hole in one of them and ark to the head creating a misterious missfire that no scanner can detect! Hope thats your problem and fix!

thanx Ratfinkron, I'll be sure to do that before I start buying full COPs, much cheaper.

UPDATE, spark plugs are not the problem, changed them along with the fuel filter with absolutely no change...

Onto concentrating on the damn COPs.

thanx Ratfinkron, I'll be sure to do that before I start buying full COPs, much cheaper.

UPDATE, spark plugs are not the problem, changed them along with the fuel filter with absolutely no change...

Onto concentrating on the damn COPs.

So, with all this advice, what did you or did you not check? Don't throw parts at the problem yet.

Problem Solved

Finally found the problem and fixed it!

Ratfinkron recomended just buying the boots for the COPs from autozone, which I wasn't aware of being sold separately. Each pack came with a rubber boot and new coil/spring for the grand total of $4.99. Today I switched them all out, drove out for a while with no immediate change, but after about 5 miles, the problem cleared up and the engine hasn't missed yet!

I'd like to thank EVERYONE that posted on this thread and helping me out! :hail2: Honest to god, if I didn't get the help, I wouldn't have been able to fix my car... Thanks guys.

For anyone who stumbles across this thread with the same problem, check the coil packs, but DO NOT buy new ones immediately. Change out the boots first for about $5 each. And if you do need to buy new coil packs, don't get them from ford... Fleet auto supply sells them for about $34(motorcraft).

im so glad i stumbled on this thread... everthing about your intake being cracked and leaking into your plug holes to the constant misfiring is exactly what im going through...just replaced intake and plugs with same misfire....you've convinced me to go buy the COP boots tomorrow...

when i go to autozone, do i just ask for the C.O.P. boots or are they called something fancy?