Please Help me Identify this Hubcap

• Sponsors (?)

ganador01 said:
*cough* centercap, not hubcap *cough* . i'm such an ass sometimes...

I always considered things like these to be centercaps:
View attachment 523937
center_cap.jpg

And these to be Hubcaps:
mrlypol.jpg

p25.jpg

And these to be wheelcovers:
pc0013.jpg

Technically, the caps on V6 Mustangs do cover the area of the hub assembly, so wouldn't that make them hubcaps? :shrug:

Attachments

• center_cap.jpg
    center_cap.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 91
97v6Silver said:
you guys seem to hang out with your dads alot... when i got new tires they put on crome valve stems just cus they saw i had chrome valve stem covers on... aint that nice...
Well, i was there with my dad because then we get our tires WHOLESALE muahahahha, ~100 bux a pop for our yokohamas (Avid H4s), and free mounting and everythign, because they owe it to him, lol, its good to have connections, especially when its directly related to your hobby =D

szer0 said:
Well technically it is a cap...and it is over the hub, or central point of the wheel :D .

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Technically, the caps on V6 Mustangs do cover the area of the hub assembly, so wouldn't that make them hubcaps? :shrug:[/QUOTE]

heh, ima have to pull out my discount tire dictionary on ur ass. Center cap is part of a larger rim cover. Used mostly on aluminum rims to cover studs and lugnuts; although, some wheel covers have center caps. A center cap cannot exist by itself. It cannot stay on the wheel without the wheel having a built in spot for it. A hub cap covers entire hub assembly of car like in the pick up there. But, the hub cap is not a part of the rim or wheel cover. Its an entire seperate entity in itself. A center cap is not an entity by itself. The word hub cap today is commonly used to describe what is a wheel cover. (a hub cap technically is a wheel cover since it is an entire entity and so is a wheel cover)A plastic piece that masks the fact that you have a steel rim underneath.

And get this, some hubcaps have centercaps because a wheel cover is technically a hub cap. IE. An old ford taurus with wheel covers (or hub caps) fits over the steel rim. It also has a center piece on the wheel cover that comes off also. this is the center cap.
:banana: :owned: lol

Oh yea! meh and 97v6silver > all

ganador01 said:
But, the hub cap is not a part of the rim or wheel cover. Its an entire seperate entity in itself. A center cap is not an entity by itself.

WTF?!!
If the centercap is not an entity by itself, how did someone steal hers? Wouldn't they have had to take whatever "entity" the centercap is a part of? :shrug:

The word hub cap today is commonly used to describe what is a wheel cover. (a hub cap technically is a wheel cover since it is an entire entity and so is a wheel cover)A plastic piece that masks the fact that you have a steel rim underneath.

That's :bs:. The word hubcap predates the existence of plastic wheelcovers. And in early examples, they didn't even cover the entire steel wheel.

To me, hubcaps and wheelcovers will always be two different things.
I do acknowledge the fact that most people consider the two words as synonyms. But I also acknowledge the fact that most people are dumbasses when it comes to cars. The word hubcap has lost it's true meaning after decades of misuse by a bunch of dumbasses. :D

[QUOTE='66 coupe]WTF?!!
If the centercap is not an entity by itself, how did someone steal hers? Wouldn't they have had to take whatever "entity" the centercap is a part of? :shrug:

That's :bs:. The word hubcap predates the existence of plastic wheelcovers. And in early examples, they didn't even cover the entire steel wheel.

To me, hubcaps and wheelcovers will always be two different things.
I do acknowledge the fact that most people consider the two words as synonyms. But I also acknowledge the fact that most people are dumbasses when it comes to cars. The word hubcap has lost it's true meaning after decades of misuse by a bunch of dumbasses. :D[/QUOTE]
I Agree that they are wrong in thinking that but they do. When i said an entity i meant an entire entity that will cover the wheel by itself. Or cover part of the wheel by itself. It is part of a wheel or part of another wheel cover or hubcab. Your pictures were dead on with what Im saying. I was just getting at the fact that a hubcap is not a centercap. Ie. You wouldnt call that hubcap on the old car a centercap.