Please school me on exhaust

Nasty Nate

Jan 30, 2006
Portland, OR
So, I am thinkin about droppin some coin on a 70mm throttle body, and a 70mm throttle body spacer. I found somethin on ebay for like 150 bucks. Should I go that route? I usually never buy car parts off of ebay, because most of them are cheap but what do you guys think?

It's a egr spacer, and a throttle body.

Now onto exhaust. What is the difference between shorty headers, and full length? What are some good brands for power, and sound? What would you guys recommend? I want a high quality product, that is going to get the job done, last me a while, and sound great. Money is not an issue.

• Sponsors (?)

Shorty headers fit directly in place of your stock headers with no modifications. Longtubes dump out under the car about where your feet are. Longtubes tend to make more power and sound a little better, but are usually alot more expensive not only to buy, but also because you have modify the exhaust to make them fit. I cant offer a brand because I only ever had Flowtech shorties on my '89 GT and they were mediocre.

Alright, thanks guys.

I guess I'll check up on this bassani company, I can't find prices from a quick online search, what is a entire kit gonna cost me? Will it replace my current cats/mufflers? I'm runnin dynomax mufflers right now.

Alright guys, i'm checkin out these bassani kits. Looks like i'll be spending over a g in exhaust, that is a lot. Not sure if I care about sound THAT much hahaha.

I guess i'll look into a tad less expensive system. I'll research this flowtech company. Thanks guys.

my manager has the whole bassani exhaust kit on his 88 hatch it is really loud even with the stock exhaust manifolds. It cost him a little over 900 with installation. Sounded pretty good but i wouldnt go spend that much without upgrading to headers first. Flowtech is ok if ur on a budget and dont want to spend over 150 for headers. Otherwise go another route maybe bbk or hookers just my opinion.

i've heard bad things about flowtech

for midpipes, bbk sounds like a good product
headers, either mac or bbk
cat-back, well, there's tons of options or mufflers,tailpipes,sizes.... that's really up to you

Longtubes on 5.0 cars are not nearly as critical as on 4.6 car. When i say that i mean you don't have to buy really expensive longtubes to get a good fit. The mac longtubes are not bad and they go for around 220-230. I personally like the bbk longtubes and you can get them from summit for about 240. Don't waste your money on shorty headers. Longtubes are worth the extra money.

My brother has bbk shorty headers on his 92 lx and those things suck! I think they are warped or something he cant get the back bolt to stay tight on the passengers side.I dunno if it is just his headers or all of the bbk shorty headers.I want a set of hooker long tubes myself I think they would go nicely with my h-pipe and 40 series flowmasters w/dumps.

-Nathan-

Whatever you get, try to get the ceramic coated(will outlast non ceramic) ones and a header with a 1 piece flange. That will solve all the warpage problems. For shorties BBK and FMS make a pretty damn good header. I probably would go FMS if I were to do it again. Equal length vs the unequal length really doesn't make much of a difference on the 5.0 as far as shorties go. I have a set of ceramic hookers longtubes on my 70 which I would have to say are really nice but there may be a better one for the fox. Long tubes will produce more power but you have to change the whole exhaust at once and not bit by bit.
Kevin

I have had 0 problems with my flowtech. When they came i was atually surprised at how good/clean, the welds were. i was just really careful installing them not to scratch the thinass satin coating. htye have been on a year and still look and sound great.

The combo I put together is equal length headers from Ford motorsports, bassani x-pipe; and Magnaflow the rest of the way. It has a great sound through the rpm range. That combo is over $1K, but if you shop around I bet you can find better deals, used, exc.

Alright guys, I'll go with long tube headers.

What all will I need to buy when I go with long tubes? Should I also upgrade my exhaust manifolds? I was lookin at a system the other day, I think it was an EB system.

How much power gain should I get from a full system (you tell me what I need, again, i'm a rookie), edelbrock manifolds, 70mm throttle body, and 70mm spacer.