Plugging holes on Heads where Smog Pump Lines connected?

MuSTaNGPLaYR

Founding Member
May 6, 2002
mansfield, OH
ive taken the smog pump off every mustang ive had, and for some reason never had a problem....the guy putting my motor in said there are 2 threaded holes, one on the back side of each head....he said that if they arent plugged then there will be a serious exhaust leak....and sure enough i saw the holes my self....so i went out in the garage where my buddies stock heads were, and his do not have anything like that...What gives? he thought it was where the smog pump may have conected..... :shrug: ....anyone have to do this before and know what size fits it?

btw the motor is a 93' and my buddies is a 91'

• Sponsors (?)

yup the smog pump connects to those 2 holes of the heads along with a metal tube that connects them together. if you follow them thru the stock heads they will come out of a small bump in the exhaust port... which can be safely shaven down if you delete the smog pump and help out flow a little...

No - the spark plug threads are the wrong size - it should take a 9/16" - 12 bolt. Or your Ford dealer can provide the inserts; but the bolt will be much easier as turning it's hex head is easier than trying to turn the insert if the heads are on the car. Be sure to seal the threads on the bolt with high temp rtv (copper) -- it will see exhaust-type temps.

When I took mine off, I simply cut off the ends of that metal tubing that was connected to those two holes, flipped the ends around and bolted them back onto the back of the heads. The side that went against the heads were solid and no exhaust leaks. Had them that way for about 7 years before I got me new motor. Works great. Buddy of mine did it also, no problems.

Just match the threads of the up to a bolt with a washer. The bolt is metric don't remember the size, sorry. I put high temp gasket sealer on the washer and bolt head to seal real good worked great for me.

shawn13 said:
napa sells small plugs like freeze plugs pop them in it works great

You got a part number for that?...I have a NAPA pretty close by...but no ford dealership :nonono: ...that is close enough to justify getting "plugs"...

Any places on the net to get these? Surely?

I remove the smog pump last night and .. How in hell are you supose to remove the tubing from the head ? ..That tubing dont seem to be threaded ...
I've read I need to cut the top tubing but is the one in the head going to pull out easily ?

5spd GT said:
You got a part number for that?...I have a NAPA pretty close by...but no ford dealership :nonono: ...that is close enough to justify getting "plugs"...

Any places on the net to get these? Surely?

Does anybody know the part number for those freeze plugs...

So my spark plugs won't work in the two smog holes...?

Michael Yount said:
No - the spark plug threads are the wrong size - it should take a 9/16" - 12 bolt. Or your Ford dealer can provide the inserts; but the bolt will be much easier as turning it's hex head is easier than trying to turn the insert if the heads are on the car. Be sure to seal the threads on the bolt with high temp rtv (copper) -- it will see exhaust-type temps.
I broke the ceramic off my old autolite 25's and threaded them in, worked like a charm.

87ttopstang said:
When I took mine off, I simply cut off the ends of that metal tubing that was connected to those two holes, flipped the ends around and bolted them back onto the back of the heads. The side that went against the heads were solid and no exhaust leaks. Had them that way for about 7 years before I got me new motor. Works great. Buddy of mine did it also, no problems.

I did that also.