Polishing machine buffers

Mustang4119

May 26, 2004
What is a good buffer to use on the car? People are saying they are so much better than hand and get rid of those swirl marks, considering I have a black car. I tried the craftsman buffer and it sucked. The bonnet kept flying off when I turned it on. What are some good buffers online that arent pricey?

• Sponsors (?)

wytstang said:
cheap and quality rarely go hand and hand, you get what you pay for.....
http://www.autogeek.net/poca746varap.html
Agreed. I'm using an 11' Craftman random/orbital buffer.$100 The bonnets stay on . The buffer has clutches that slip if too much pressure is applied.This buffer makes me look like a pro(I have no experience with electric buffers) . Maybe yours is for a different application than cars.Small items,furniture,etc. Save up for a quality buffer..you'll enjoy the results and it will last for years.It is one of the lowest cost accessories that we can get for our cars.

My 7" Makita is real nice. Its a professional one though so it can/will ruin your paint if you're not careful. It was around $200 i think. Well worth it though when I painted my car and had to color sand and buff it. This got the job done real well.

Using a low speed orbital buffer isn't really intended to be used for removing swirls. They main purpose for it is that it makes applying and removing polish/wax a lot easier. If you have swirl marks, a detailing proffesional with a high speed buffer should be hired. :p If you have never used a high speed buffer, I wouldn't. Contact some local detailers before you do anything. Just trying to help out.

Tim

The makita's are nice too, my detail shop had one, but I learned to like the dewalt. Features I liked about it were the rpm dial, and that it maintains rpm when a load is applied. If you get one its worth it to get a velcro backing pad too. Makes changing pads much easier.