Poll: How quick to pull your stangs engine?

MustangMark

Founding Member
Jul 4, 1999
Mandan, ND
Just curious how quick we all are. Me and a buddy have a personal best of just over half hour from the time we parked the car to having engine out and clear of the car. 1967 Cougar (same engine bay as 67 mustang) 289 automatic with headers. Takes us an extra few minutes on my 68 Mustang 351w manual because tighter header clearances, and clutch linkage.

• Sponsors (?)

thats pretty quick!

i have done an engine swap for my parents in there 69 mach 1 and it took all day.

it's harder working on someone elses car that has a nice paint job when i'm used to not being carefull :rlaugh:

I use to time myself for everything then that got old.

5 minutes to remove carb A then install carb B fire it up and tuning took a little after that once the engine was warm.

Removing an engine hmm about that half hour by myself no fan or useless things to fight with that often go with regular engines from the factory, ac, powersteering, and such. Thats with draining all the fluids and blah blah.

Now record time for me is 5 minutes in a car that all I wanted was the block from. I basicly cut everything and the tranny was out so that made it easier.

Pick N Pull special 351 W

My buddy and I pulled the 302 and C4 from his '67 coupe in just under 30 minutes and about 3 of those were spent ordering a pizza. No A/C or P/S. Pulled hood, radiator and headers. His battery was already in the trunk and we had previously cleaned up all the wiring and the oil pressure sender line as it came from the back in one bundle except for the solenoid wiring. We each knew what tools were needed and we had one of everything on each side of the car. The rad fluid was poured into a pan (most of it) and we had a plastic tranny plug for the tailshaft, we weren't trying to do it in a hurry or anything, but we had walked out of the house at 1:01 pm after watching a movie on HBO and walked back in at 1:29 and the digital clock just clicked over to 1:30, we were really amazed as we thought it had taken an hour or so, but we also already had the cherry picker in place and the tools laid out.

The BS is getting deep enough that I need to stand on my chair just to type this! :D Personally I'm a little more concerned with a quality job the first time than losing half the parts and making a total mess of the car just to impress my bench racing buddys. But I'm weird that way. :shrug:

I'm not sure about how long it takes me to get my motor out. I think it took me and a buddy that knows nothing about cars about an hour to get the 460 out. And that was the motor and tranny together.

I think the good one was when it took me and two friends just under two hours to get the motor back in the car and running. That was going from the bare engine on the stand to putting it in gear and driving to Mcdonalds.