POLL: New GTO

spanky442

Feb 3, 2004
POLL: New GTO vs. 05 stang

Any opinions, concearns, comments, or has anyone seen or driven or even own a new GTO? Not sure if they are out yet? I personally think they look an oversized, overpowered Honda Civic?

:shrug: :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

Lots of people do. I don't own one, and haven't seen one, but I like it. It's a modest looking car that has a sweet interior and a fantastic power plant.

People rip on it because they say it looks like a sedan (Grand Prix) with a bigger engine. The original was just a LeMans with a beefier engine....so it's not like it strayed too far from it's roots by making it look like something else in the Pontiac family. also, it's not supposed to be a "unique" car like the Ford GT....it's a modern interpretation of what the GTO would have evolved into (in GM's eyes) had they stuck with it.
I liked the concept WAY better than the actual production model, but I still think it's a nice ride, and I can't wait to own one.

I thought they had a special feature on the special features of the new Triple X movie (vin diesel). They had a whole documentary on the new and up comming gto. It looked much more aggressive then the very sad family sedan that they put out with gto badges. (I think the problem is that everyone wanted to see a more retro stacked headlight version, at least thats what I think they should have done...)

ahh thats what he was talking about. I saw that at Carisle a few years ago. It was a mock up, not even a working concept. That was before they even had the idea to use the Monaro as the new GTO. I thought that he meant they did a concept based on the Monaro platform. I would have been interested to see that.

I didn't care much for them, but thought they were "ok", until I saw one (silver) in person. Very nice care IMO. I never agreed with the Cavalier/Grand Am comparisons and after getting an up close look at the GTO I definately disagree.

they might have, I am really not sure, you could check around the net or something to see if there was or not.. to be honest, I really haven't looked that far into it, once I saw the POS that they called the gto, I wanted nothing to do with it. It seemed like a grand prix with a cool motor to me... just a marketing ploy.... but to each their own you know, I am sure that some love the car...just sharing my opinion, but then again, I am biased cause I am a hardcore Jeep/mustang fan (selling my jeep unfortunatly, but that means that I will be able to get a mustang GT as soon as they come out, which will be my 3'rd mustang)

GelatiCruiser said:

I've never driven in one, but I did sit in one at the LA auto show. I was very impressed with the interior. Everything seemed very well executed. The car is kind of a sleeper, but I'd like to see some cool aftermarket hoods. I think it would do a lot for it.

By some reports it handles similarly to a BMW, that would be nice. Be interesting to see if the new stang can duplicate that. For 35k it's likely not the car I would get, although it seems to have a usable rear seat, good power, nice exhaust note and since it's an ls1 it will be moddable. Pretty good middle aged Dad car with some giddy up.

I've driven it, both the auto and the 6 speed. It's definitely fast and I did not like the looks at first, but it has grown on me big time. :nice: What I particularly respect is GM not slapping tons of plastic body cladding on it like most of their cars, it's a nice, clean look even if it isn't as aggresive as some would prefer. The interior is nothing like any other GM, it's great. It's got plenty of power, but you gotta get the 6 speed. Handling is ok, needs bigger tires. In my opinion it's not the "answer" to anything but it's costing GM almost nothing to make right now so kudos to them for making a car they're only looking to sell 25,000 units of. It's a stepping stone to the next all-new GTO, which I've heard is going to silence the critics. I hope so, the more competition, the better!

-Chris

P.S. Weirdest thing about the car: The Blaplunkt premium sound system has no way of adjusting front-rear fade or left-right. I was pretty suprised by that.

I'm sorry but that New GTO Sucks.. Don't carry over a name plate if it's not going to Looks anything like the late GTO -

Looks nothing more then a Grand Am with GTO name plate -
One guy got the Very first one on Speed Ch. Auction. He payed $4,500 over Book blue to get the first one. Poor guy doesn't know any better ..

Gelati Cruiser I dont see how you can say that the new GTO is what GM thinks is the modern day interpretation. GM didnt do **** to develop the car all they did was ripped off a car that holden makes and put one of GM's companies logo on the front(very similar to what they did with the SSR as well). I personally hate the car becuz of that fact.