Pontiac GTO vs Mustang GT

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
BrutalStang said:
but when the 05 mustang GT comes out it will kill the current GTO.
Actually, there was already a video posted of the ’05 Stang running a GTO a week or so ago and it was quite the opposite. The Stang got spanked. Why do most of you assume that the newer heavier 05’s are going to wipe the floor with the GTO when the already slightly more powerful, lighter Mach 1 barely edges it out?

How in the hell did I end up at the top of the thread? :scratch:

• Sponsors (?)

Has anyone had a tango with the Pontiac GTO? Rumor has it the '05's will have 400 hp at the flywheel, same as the new '05 corvette, which car & driver nailed a 12.7 @116mph! That's as fast as the '04 Z06!

I don't think the '05 stangs stand a chance, I can't wait til' the new Cobras come out!

I heard the GTO's are selling like dogs, far under Potiacs expectations. I haven't seen anyone around Tampa with one.

i took on an auto GTO about 3 weeks ago in my 03 GT(5-speed). i thought that the auto wasnt really any slower then the manual goat, but i beat him(by about half a car length, so i assume he had it to the floor.) so right now they are very close, but when the 05 mustang GT comes out it will kill the current GTO, but then again when the new goat comes out that will kill the GT, then again when the new cobra comes out that will kill the new Goat.

what does this sound like? thats right, a war. a horsepower war to be exact, and its all about who comes out on top when the dust settles.

acsostang said:
I heard the GTO's are selling like dogs, far under Potiacs expectations.

Thats actually a bit of an understatement. They can't get rid of the things. As of the 10/04 C&D print date, Pontiac had sold 3687 GTOs. That is dismal. They are going to have to do something or the GTO is going to have to go on hiatus for another 30yrs. Just for comparison, the Mustang which is basically the same as it was in '99 still sold 73,333 in the first 6 months of '04.

I guess thats what happens when you introduce a "blah" car with a $33k price tag :nonono:

I took one today. To be honest I thought it was going to be a race. I walked him right from the line. The only time I seen him beside me was at the line. I took him off the line and from there on out, I shut it off at 90 and then he blew by me. This GTO was a manual. I did have a little help though (a couple of screws) muwahahahahaha. :nice:

A friend of mine has a 04 Goat with the 6 speed. I drove it when he first got it. I think it had 300 miles on it when i drove so I take that into consideration but I wasnt impressed. From a dead stop I could smoke em with know problem. Out on the highway he could pull on me but not anything tremendous.

Mach-1's don't just barely beat GTO's at my home track...we spank them...

well I should say...would spank them, but for some reason the don't run in the street class, the GTO's that were running at my local track were both running in the compact sport class!!(that's no BS!)

the best time for that night was a 14.4(for the goats) while i was in the 13.3-13.5 range all night long(9 passes)

might I add, I'm not a very good driver in the first place...so what's their excuse?

DTMach1 said:
Mach-1's don't just barely beat GTO's at my home track...we spank them...

well I should say...would spank them, but for some reason the don't run in the street class, the GTO's that were running at my local track were both running in the compact sport class!!(that's no BS!)

the best time for that night was a 14.4(for the goats) while i was in the 13.3-13.5 range all night long(9 passes)

might I add, I'm not a very good driver in the first place...so what's their excuse?
Well, I'm going based on the stats that the boys at MM@FF ran. I don't usually magazine race, but MM@FF (Evan smith usually) seems to run the best times out of any other rag out there. So you know their squeezing ever last ounce out of the car. And the GTO in that particual issue was running much better than 14.4.

Maybe they're just finicky to drive? :shrug:

I raced an auto GTO and left him very very bad. I was spraying a 100 shot, but both I and the owner were pretty sure I would have beat him without the N20. This was from about a 40-50mph roll.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Well, I'm going based on the stats that the boys at MM@FF ran. I don't usually magazine race, but MM@FF (Evan smith usually) seems to run the best times out of any other rag out there. So you know their squeezing ever last ounce out of the car. And the GTO in that particual issue was running much better than 14.4.

Maybe they're just finicky to drive? :shrug:

Evan Smith did say they are kind of a pain to launch. I took one from a roll the other day, started at 60 in 3rd and took it to 130 before i shut it down, he didnt have a snowballs chance in hell.