Poor gas milage

shallowreef

Nov 3, 2005
illinois
Okay i have really bad gas milage on my car. I get anywhere from 150-160 miles per tank. Sometimes more, but never anymore than 200. I will admit i do get on it occasionally but its not all the time. If that is the case and i just have a heavy foot then fine but i was curious if there was anything that i could check/replace that could help my car to be more fuel efficient. I know thats a stupid question driving a mustang and a V8 but hey if there is even the slightest room for improvement i'm m ore than interested in hearing about it.

• Sponsors (?)

I get about the same now that I have moved and mostly drive short distances. When I had a longer commute, I was getting 230 miles per tank, and got as high as 270~300 on long trips. Gas mileage goes down in the winter also. Longer warm up times, winter blend fuels etc. As for what you can do, basic tune up. Plugs, air filter, pcv filter, etc.

The fact that you said short drives is all i needed to here. I work like five minutes away from home. So that is more than likely what is killing me. Plus i let my car warm up every morning a good 5-10 minutes. Okay so then i'm not all that worried about it anymore. I thought maybe my car was in desperate need of a tune or i needed new plugs.

Jstreet, you are like the answer to all of my questions.

...Plus i let my car warm up every morning a good 5-10 minutes...

This is probably hurting mileage a little. You probably don't need to warm up that long, maybe only about a minute. And check the air pressure in your tires.
:nice:

Of course, you could end the short trips and take the one hour scenic route to and from work. Although your gas bill might quadruple, at least the miles per gallon would be higher.
:D

its your exhaust :D

i get the same mileage in mine and wondered why it was so bad. Then i realized it was mainly due to the way i drive it...just listening to the exhaust when i cruise around. I only do city driving 5-10 min away from home, with rarely any highway driving and i get around 200 miles per tank...and less than that when i cant get bring myself to let up the lead foot.

First things first. Do you have an aftermarket Tune on that car? if not.. my car was running 25% lean with all the mods you have when I took it to my Tuner. Thats a good idea to do. but other than that a few things that help are Front O2 sensors, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, pcv valve, spark plugs, and always check the Tire pressure.

First things first. Do you have an aftermarket Tune on that car? if not.. my car was running 25% lean with all the mods you have when I took it to my Tuner. Thats a good idea to do. but other than that a few things that help are Front O2 sensors, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, pcv valve, spark plugs, and always check the Tire pressure.

+1 on fuel filter, air filter, sensors and plugs.

TrueBlue03: Yeah I forgot about that, I was getting 280-300 per tank and now with 285s all around I get 270ish. Tires hurt :(

Im actually 75 miles south of Dallas, but yeah there is alot of sweet stangs in Dallas. Try hittin up 04sleeper, hes with a club (DFW Mustangs I think) and knows alot of guys. The pictures he posts are of some sweet SVT rides. My desktop is one of his car and 5 more Termis with a 97 Cobra and a 93 Cobra and 86 SVO and a Mach1. All together out for a cruise in Dallas, man I wanted to be part of that one. They all have some beautiful cars and 04sleepers is beyond :drool: Gawd I love his car :nice:

Mabey down there around Houston but its fraking snowing in DFW for the last few hours:(
So whens the grub gonna be done? I can be there in two hours :D

Dude! I just saw that on the news! That's crazy! Don't get out in that mess. Texans can't drive worth 5h!t in the snow!:notnice:

I can count on 1 hand how many times I've seen it snow in Houston and man it's ugly! The whole city basically shuts down with a little ice and snow due to the unexperienced driving population. (sorry for he hijack)

Dude! I just saw that on the news! That's crazy! Don't get out in that mess. Texans can't drive worth 5h!t in the snow!:notnice:

I can count on 1 hand how many times I've seen it snow in Houston and man it's ugly! The whole city basically shuts down with a little ice and snow due to the unexperienced driving population. (sorry for he hijack)

I know, I lived in Spring for 10 years and it snowed once when I was 8. 1" of snow and everything closed. My dad took me to school in my moms brandnew 84 GT Vert and since school was closed we did donoughts in the parking lot :rlaugh:

Oh man did we completly derail this thread yet :OT: :leaving: