poor mans 5 lug swap?

1slowfiveoh said:
To remove the old axles,

1. remove diff cover and drain gear oil.
2. remove the carrier pin by unscrewing the 8mm bolt and pushing the carrier pin completely out .
2. push in axles to expose the C-clips in the center of the gear carrier.
3. using needle-nose pliers pull the C-clips out
4. pull the axles straight out.

Easy.

Check the length on the new 7.5 axles and compare with your old ones. Also, seriously consider an 8.8 if you are going to do any further mods to the car. Makes buying parts much easier because there are so many more options for the 8.8 than for the 7.5

:bang:

that's going to be a nightmare..lol will i need to go and buy that one tool to check my back lash after its all back together?

• Sponsors (?)

No, because you will not have to remove the carrier, only the pin that runs through it, the c-clips and finally the axles. It's REALLY simple. it just sounds complicated. Refer to the links I provided for more detailed info on axle removal. Be back in 2 hours, going to take the lady to lunch.

1slowfiveoh said:
No, because you will not have to remove the carrier, only the pin that runs through it, the c-clips and finally the axles. It's REALLY simple. it just sounds complicated. Refer to the links I provided for more detailed info on axle removal. Be back in 2 hours, going to take the lady to lunch.

ok well thanks. i may have some more questions for you later if you dont mind answering them.

i used to make threads like these. spending my money before i had it. i made like 30 "what heads and camshaft should i get". save your money "wait till you can drive" then just sell this and buy a 5.0. instead of spending all of this money swapping engines and brakes and rearends. youll just end up spending more money than it would cost to just buy a mustang with a 5.0 that already has the 8.8 and a v8.

pistonhead351 said:
i used to make threads like these. spending my money before i had it. i made like 30 "what heads and camshaft should i get". save your money "wait till you can drive" then just sell this and buy a 5.0. instead of spending all of this money swapping engines and brakes and rearends. youll just end up spending more money than it would cost to just buy a mustang with a 5.0 that already has the 8.8 and a v8.

i have 350 right now and then another 120 after the 12th so ill have like 470 or so but i dont know if that enough for everything. so i am saving. i have a little bit more but im paying my dad back a 100 or so each money for the money he loaned me that i was short on when i bought the car.

oh yeah and the wait till you an drive is getting old becasue 1 if i wait till i can drive i wont be able to drive becasue the car wont be able to move because i will be changing something on it. :mad:

and the v8 did you not see all the other threads that im not aloud to have a v8 till im older!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

plus my dads not going to be around forever so i think all the work i want to do with my dad to it will we worth the extra money i will spend.

and happen to like this car more then i say because of the fact that this is the first car my dad loaned me money to buy and the one i plan to keep.

plus i like the sound of a glx convertible with a 347 stroker :nice:

the only way i would get rid of this car is to get a cobra :hail2: or a t-top mustang :hail2:

so till then :Zip2: please.. ive heard the save it for a 5.0 but im not aloud to have a 5.0 unless my dad gets struck with a lightning bolt :notnice:

plus my dads not going to be around forever so the parts i want to put on the car with my dad helping me will be well worth the extra money spent.

frontbrakeshh8.th.jpg

rearbrakesassembledir1.th.jpg

sidepictureediteddd3.th.jpg

Attachments

• frontbrakeshh8.th.jpg
    frontbrakeshh8.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 70
  • rearbrakesassembledir1.th.jpg
    rearbrakesassembledir1.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 66
  • sidepictureediteddd3.th.jpg
    sidepictureediteddd3.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 67
7.5 and 8.8 axles in Mustang rear ends from 79 up should all be 28 spline, so you don't have to find rear end size specific axles. All you need to worry about is the length of the axle you're installing.

Stock axle length for these cars is 29 5/32". You can pull 5 lug axles from '83-'92 Ranger and Bronco IIs on the driver side only or '86-'97 Aerostars on the passenger side only.

'94-'95 7.5 and 8.8 rear axles will both work and will be what you're looking for if you're going to go to rear disc using SN-95 or Cobra brake equipment, however I do not think you can use these size axles with your stock drums. Each '94-'95 axle will move the wheel out 0.75" further than the stock length. '96-'98 Mustang rear axles from 7.5 or 8.8 will work as well but they will move the wheels out even further (see old_blue's car). It depends on your preference.