Popping/Clicking noise from clutch pedal

1986LX2002

Founding Member
Aug 15, 2002
Everytime i press in my clutch pedal i get a clicking/popping noise. The car still drives fine and grabs hard, but its annoying the hell outta me. Anyone have an idea to what it could be?

• Sponsors (?)

I have an adjustable firewall quad and new cable and the stock plastic one has been long gone. But my clutch pedal is wicked hard to press in lately and i get the popping noise when i press it in.

If you are actually feeling it through the pedal I had the same problem with my 91 5.0 that I use to own. It would a make a pop/click noise when I would push in the clutch. I replaced the clutch fork and that fixed it.

I have a tremec 3550, Is there any HD or performance clutch forks? I need to change the throw out bearing and i need to figure out why my clutch pedal is clicking and is so damn heavy.

I have a king cobra, and Mine did the same. Turned out my firewall has 2 giant cracks in it. Had to fab up a plate, and it still creaks and pops every once in a while. It probably cracked because my cable got old and started binding and was really hard to push in.

just get under the dash and make sure that the quadrant is lined up with the hole in the firewall. you could take it off and check to see if the cable is rubbing on one of the sides of the quadrant also

Wow i'm so surprised on how common this is......like everyone else mine is doing the same, mine only does it when i shift out of second when i'm coming to a stop, and it only pops once. I can feel it through the pedel too. I'm guessing it's the clutch fork on mine, since it was used and looked a bit crusty...

clutch forks are kinda low wear items. Just about the only problem I can see is maybe with the clips on the fork.

If it makes the noise while your foot is constantly down, maybe throwout bearing, but if it does it only while in motion, it's more than likely the cable. Especially if it's "wicked" stiff to depress. check for binding as ecu suggested.. follow the route of the cable and be sure it's got no steep angles, and has a smooth travel, and routes under the k member, as this picture shows.

if you must buy a new fork, buy it AND the oem clutch cable for $39 for both from buyfordracing.com (diversified) fyi, my cable makes clicking sounds when depressed, but I've never had a problem with it, 183k and counting.

P1010122.JPG