Possibly making a quick turn around.... :)

Red03Mustang

Apr 26, 2004
Trading in a new car if I don't like it - how ruined $$$ will I be?

Ok, so I made a mistake (maybe) of buying a Mazda6 and trading in my '03 GT. But, there were things about the GT I didn't like (auto, auto... auto?)

Anyway, I thought I'd go with something new that got good gas mileage, etc. Well great, I did, and now I'm having sever power/torque/style withdrawal.

The Mazda6 is a great car, but dang. I'm just an American guy all out I guess. I feel the need to get my Ford back in some fashion.

I'm looking at possibly trading my Mazda6 for an '05 or '06 GT. The local dealer has a sweet GT now I'd like for $28.5 sticker. I think if I could get them down some (may not be able to, these things are hot right now) then I might go for it (like $27k-$28k).

Of course, the BIGGEST factor, and the one I want opinions on, is what the heck can I get out of my Mazda6? It's an '06 with not even 3500 miles on it. I think it was originally $22k and some change, but I got about $2.5k off of it because I owed less on my GT than it was worth. So in that respect I'm a little ahead of the game.

Worse case scenario, I'm looking to at least break even on what I owe on the Mazda6, so I can start from scratch basically on the GT, and do my very best to get payments around $425 or less a month. I'd prefer less, but I'll take what I can get as long as it won't break me.

Driving is a passion for me, not just getting from point A to B, so that means some form of American Muscle is what I need. I've gotta get my sound and power back if at all possible. If not, I'm not going to die over it. I will however be on the lookout for a sweet deal at any point and time. :D

So, my real question is, what kind of money do you think I'll get out of the Mazda6 if I go to trade it now? Stats:

Less than 3,500 miles
New cost was $22k+, but don't owe that for it with the good trade in.

I can't look up an '06 in Kelley Blue Book yet, as they aren't listed.

Has anyone else ever done a quick turn around on a car they didn't like, and did you get completely screwed over the pricing? Or did you at least get something decent out of it?

Thanks for the input guys! Help me get back to the Stang world if at all possible. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

wht-v6-vert said:
You are going to get hozed financially. Your best bet is to learn to like the Mazda and suck it up. Financial decisions made emotionally always are bad.

Yeah. Practicality sucks! :D

I probably will learn to like it and just pay off the Mazda in the biggest chunks I can. It's not a bad car at all, just different. It actually handles way better than the '03 GT I had with Ford Racing C springs. It has a lot more body roll obviously, but yet that doesn't seem to really effect it in the curves. It seems to just help it smush the tires into the pavement harder. :p

Everything is too expensive. Cars used to be a lot cheaper, now they're just a bunch of money gobbling gremlins.

Even at 72 months and a good interest rate, with little down, I don't see how your payments will be under $500 a month. Andif you're under 25, the insurance difference will make you pass out. But good luck!

Red03Mustang said:
Ok, so I made a mistake (maybe) of buying a Mazda6 and trading in my '03 GT. But, there were things about the GT I didn't like (auto, auto... auto?)

Huh? WTF are you saying, you got rid of your 03 GT and got a Mazda because your Mustang had and auto tranny? Why wouldn't you get another Mustang with a manual trannie? :bang:

Red03Mustang said:
The Mazda6 is a great car, but dang. I'm just an American guy all out I guess. I feel the need to get my Ford back in some fashion.

Huh again. The Mazda 6 is built in Flat Rock MI, in the same plant on the same assembly line as the 05 - 06 Mustang. Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda. :shrug:

Red03Mustang said:
Of course, the BIGGEST factor, and the one I want opinions on, is what the heck can I get out of my Mazda6?

How in the world can any of us answer that question?
Go to NADA.com, KBB.com or Edmunds.com to check used car values.:rolleyes:

When you say it was originally 22K, do you mean sticker or after rebates? Mazda 6's had huge rebates, up to 4-5K, between that and x-plan I could have got the loaded one that stickered at 29K for 22K. We need a little more info, either way your probably upside down. I have been upside down on my last 3 cars, but I keep changing anyway. I think I am about to do it again to a Stang, I have a 2005 Audi A4 and it is to refined for me. Don't get me wrong, a lot of time I like that part of it, but I want something more raw and love the Mustang sound. I had a 88 Porsche 911, best car I have ever owned. Thought about another, but the yearly maintanence is high due to the age of the car, always something to replace every year just about. Anyway, good luck!!!!!!!!

I just did the exact same thing. I had an 02 GT and traded it on an 06 Mazda 6. Had it about 3 months and knew I had screwed up. I had the mazda s-plan plus $2000 left from the mustang. the mazda stickered for $23,100. Took the car to Carmax, they offered me $14,000. Went to a Ford dealership they offered me $17,000 until I told them I was eligible for the x-plan and then the offer went toi $14500. Went to another Ford dealer, offered $13,500 (auction price) and then told me they could buy the mazda brand new for $18,000. When I brought the window sticker in to show them they said that was all they could do.

Tried 1 more Ford dealer about 45 min. out of the way, what the hell couldn't hurt. They found me a GT that I wanted exactly, Gave me $17,000 for the mazda , honored the x-plan price and then took off the doc fees and threw in a spolier at no charge. They have the mazda now for only $19,000. Good to know that there are at least some good dealerships still around.

Most dealerships are going to offer you auction prices for the mazda which is $13,500 -$15,000.

351CJ said:
Huh? WTF are you saying, you got rid of your 03 GT and got a Mazda because your Mustang had and auto tranny? Why wouldn't you get another Mustang with a manual trannie? :bang:

Huh again. The Mazda 6 is built in Flat Rock MI, in the same plant on the same assembly line as the 05 - 06 Mustang. Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda. :shrug:

How in the world can any of us answer that question?
Go to NADA.com, KBB.com or Edmunds.com to check used car values.:rolleyes:

I went to kbb and edmunds, and they don't list '06 cars yet. Either that or I overlooked it. TurboScrew new the answer, and he's one of us. He did what I did, and hopefully at some point I can end up like him now as well. :nice:

A Mazda6 isn't American Muscle. Made in America and under Ford maybe, but it isn't American Muscle. That's what I'd like to have again.

I was being semi-sarcastic with the auto thing. That's one reason. I don't want an auto again, just because a manual is more fun. The main reason honestly is I didn't realize that the things I didn't think were important actually were. After buying the Mustang, driving became more fun instead of going from point A to B.

I hope those explanations are good enough, 351CJ....

Thanks for your experience TurboScrew. I'd love to end up that way too. We'll see. Fortunately I am 25, so the insurance won't be as bad anymore. :eek:

It took alot of work, aggravation and running around but when you want something bad enough you'll sacrafice your time and effort. Good luck, hopefully you'll find a good dealership like I did and then you can expirence these new mustangs. I'll never change again. Lesson learned!!! Mustang muscle all the way!! BTW, I was looking to get an 03 or 04 Cobra but once I drove the 06 GT there was no looking back. I know, I know, everyone's like: get the cobra WTF. But the new retro look is awesome and I'll give up some HP for the good looks.

Red03Mustang said:
I hope those explanations are good enough, 351CJ....

OK, your 1st post seemed a bit incoherent, but I get the deal now and I am amazed that someone else showed up having gone through a similar Mazda to Stang upgrade.

You're going to get hosed making the change, but life is too short. If you don't like the Mazda why force youself to live with it.

Good luck flipping your Mazda into a new Stang.

351CJ said:
OK, your 1st post seemed a bit incoherent, but I get the deal now and I am amazed that someone else showed up having gone through a similar Mazda to Stang upgrade.

You're going to get hosed making the change, but life is too short. If you don't like the Mazda why force youself to live with it.

Good luck flipping your Mazda into a new Stang.

No problem. Sorry if I was unclear at first.

I do agree, life is too short, so if I can pull it off somehow I'd love to. If not, I won't die over it, but I'd be a little less happy with the ride for a while. I put myself in that situation though, so I asked for it. :bang:

Turboscrew, I will probably drop by the dealer soon and see what they come up with for me. Thanks for all your input!

I had a mazda 6 as well. A 2004. The v6 was nice but the mustang is by far the better choice for me:)

Oh yea, I didn't sell it. Some old bag slammed into me at forty mph while I was at a dead stop waiting to turn into my driveway....I still have half a mind to go down the street and slap the bitch.

Girlfriend has a Mazda 6. Its a great second car and I really like it. Not a Mustang replacement by any means but it does handles better than my 05 with a pro kit!

Jarod said:
Girlfriend has a Mazda 6. Its a great second car and I really like it. Not a Mustang replacement by any means but it does handles better than my 05 with a pro kit!

Yeah, I agree. It would be a great second car. Their handling is pretty amazing.

I may have a stroke of luck. My mom's looking to get a car for herself sometime soon, and she may want my Mazda. If so, then I'll be looking at a GT and a GTO.

I can get a better deal on a GTO, so I'm going to test drive one of them also and see how it feels/looks/sounds. I feel like the GTO doesn't have nearly as good an outside appearance as the Mustang GT, but I feel like it could be a better car. I can get one with 8k miles for $25k, or I can get an '06 GT I looked at for almost $29k. I get +50 hp with the GTO, plus a 6 speed manual. Those are plusses, but I have to drive it and see. I still feel the Mustang GT would best suit me.

I'll let ya all know if anything happens at all. It's all pretty much a mute point if my mom doesn't want my car. :D

May do the test drive home thing.

I may test drive home the GT today. I'll drive it around a little and make a decision hopefully tonight or tomorrow. :nice:

I may keep the Mazda or I may go with the Stang. I will hopefully have chances later in life to get a Mustang if I don't get one now, and the Mazda6 is a great car for what it is.

I'll let you guys know. :flag:

The main reason I got rid of the Mazda was the horrible shifting the tranny had. In the manual and auto mode both had alot of lag. Trust me when you drive the mustang you'll want to get rid of the mazda. They're just so fun to drive.

Test driving a GT now.

turboscrew said:
The main reason I got rid of the Mazda was the horrible shifting the tranny had. In the manual and auto mode both had alot of lag. Trust me when you drive the mustang you'll want to get rid of the mazda. They're just so fun to drive.

That's one of my reasons too! The manual mode of the 6i is very laggy on shifts. I guess it does it to be as smooth as possible. It is smooth for sure, but man. Not moving forward for a full second or even two sometimes... that's a little too smooth! All in all though, that's really my one complaint with it. Other than that it is a great car for what it is.

At the moment, I am test driving an '05 GT. I have it all this evening and tomorrow until 9:00pm. It's a manual, and I'm learning... so obviously I'm no good at it. But I'm getting the hang of it quick, and learning that I'd like that a lot more I think. :)

It's black GT, and I think it's a deluxe. I can't really tell what it is missing, but I still think it is a deluxe. It has 17" tires also.

If I get the payments I want, I may go for it. If not, I won't. Pretty simple. I have a nice car, I don't want to get rid of it unless I make a good financial decision as well - or at least an affordable financial decision.

Well we'll see what happens over the weekend. :flag: I'll keep you guys posted.

Made the choice.

Decision time!

I decided to keep the Mazda. It's a great car, just not a 300hp Mustang.

I test drove an '06 and an '05 GT this weekend a lot. Great cars, and I'd buy one in a second if the situation were different.

I don't want to spend over half a grand a month for 6 years is basically what it boils down to. I've got other things that are more important I need to think about even if I don't want to. :rolleyes: Such is life!

I'm not unhappy with the Mazda6. I should have looked at Mustangs while I had the chance, and I didn't. Fortunately I'm in a good position with the Mazda to get it paid off more quickly, so I should be able to within a year get it where I'm not upside down anymore. Then I might look towards the GT again soon.

I was thinking about taking the $1000 down I would put on the GT and putting it straight toward the principal of the Mazda, since I can afford to. Plus, cancel my extedned warranty (that was a stupid idea). That'll give me over $1000 back as well. I'd immediately owe $2k less on it. Not bad at all. :nice: I'll be out of it in no time if I so choose, and I think I'll have been smarter to do it that way instead of being impulsive.

I will rejoin the Mustang crowd again, not to worry. I think it will just be later rather than sooner. :flag:

Thanks for all your opinions!