powersteering disaster

myfirstii

Founding Member
Feb 28, 2002
chicago,Il.
My powersteering pulley is bent and the belt wont stay on so i lose the water pump and fan. Ive been looking for a new pulley for a while but cant seem to find one. Is there a easy solution that im not seeing? I dont care If i bypass the powersteering for now until i find a new pulley. I have the v8 with ac, but the i took the ac off. If that helps
Thanks
Pat

• Sponsors (?)

FWIW, I got a whole PS pump from a Pinto at a boneyard for $30. I've had it in my II for a couple of years, now. I believe I went this route because it was cheaper than having a machine shop put a new pulley on my existing pump.

pulley

In need of a power steering pump for my 77 F-150 I used a M2 pump off a 76. The M2 pulley was a little smaller but the belt adjusted out just fine. If you need to get the car going dont worry about putting a M2 specific part on it.

You could try re-routing a new belt (you will have to measure for size) around the crank, water pump, and then the alternator instead of the power steering. You will have to Change the spacer size on the alternator to get decent enough groove alignment to drive it home. Also use a small piece of hose to by-pass the PS pump at the rack. :shrug:

If you find a similar style pump that's in good shape, you could always just bolt the whole thing on, instead of messing with the pulley swap. I'm not positive, as it's been a long time since I've touched an old Ford P.S. pump, but I thought they were all mostly similar in pump style and pulley sizes; trucks, cars, all of them. If you can't find one, I suppose I could go up into the storage area and dig around and see if I still have one.

I was out working on the stang today trying to re route the belt around the alternator and a tech from the honda dealership i was at came out to talk to me about it. I told him my problem and he had a 78 couger sitting in the way back of the yard so he let me take the pump off and use that one. And it was a perfect match. so thanks for everyones help.
Patrick