Powertrax Lock-Right Locker Installed

Swarzkopf

Sep 23, 2004
Pittsburgh
WOW...I truly think this is the BEST differential for a street cruising car that wants to lay down some good ETs at the track...

The Powertrax design is relatively new. Quite honestly, I'm not sure exactly how it differs from a traditional "Detroit" style locker- both lock the two axle shafts during straight line acceleration, both use heavy metal innards, and both unlock during turning...

The difference is, the Powertrax piece is totally quiet, totally streetable, and until I stand on the go pedal from a stop it seems no different than the factory traction-lock piece did. No ratcheting sounds from the rear end, no clanking, it's totally silent.

And there is no one wheel peel now. Gah, my car finally launches like it should- I haven't tried launching on the ricer juice yet, but N/A if I heat the BFGs a bit then brake torque to 2200, pop the brake, and get into the gas, it really takes off. :D

Overall, I'm really, really impressed by this piece. As it's a relative newcomer to the market, I figured I'd share my experience.

• Sponsors (?)

Okay:

1. I had a shop install it as I've been very pressed for time lately. They charged me $150. The install should not be difficult at all, the Powertrax piece installs inside the stock case, stock carrier, and uses all stock components. Basically, you take out your traction-lok case, remove all the clutches and crap, and fit the Powertrax piece inside of the traction-lok case and reinstall it.

2. The part number is PWT-92-0688-2827. Make SURE you use this part number as this one fits the traction-lok case- there is another part number that fits the 28-spline 8.8 but requires an open case. If you want to upgrade to 31-spine axle shafts, Powertrax makes one to fit the 31-splines as well.

3. I paid $460 from Summit. This is about $60 more than an Eaton or Auburn limited slip, but it's worth it for the true locking action in my opinion.

Swarzkopf said:
I paid $460 from Summit. This is about $60 more than an Eaton or Auburn limited slip, but it's worth it for the true locking action in my opinion.

Wow!!:nono: You could have gone w/ a 31 spline trak-lock brand new from ford, and superior 31 spline axles for that price.
I actually bought my 31 spline trac-lock fully rebuilt off of ebay from a seller that sells nothing but rebuilt rearends and has perfect feedback for $100 shipped. Got the axles from Summit for $250 & also bought the trick flow aluminum rearend girdle for $140. You could of had a much stronger rearend for about the same price. Im not busting your balls, just throwing out a little info for everybody to think about.:nice:

I saw that option and decided not to go that way. I have no faith in clutch style traction-loks at all at this point.

Half of Mustang guys say they're great, half hate them. Fact is, they seem to be hit or miss. I rebuilt mine once only a few months and already was dealing with one wheel peel again. My buddy with an 04 GT has rebuilt his...4 times now I think?

You bought a rebuilt t-lok, I got a brand new locker. If it works for you, good, but like I said I wasn't interested in another clutch style differential.

If I really wanted to step up, I would've converted to 31-spline axle shafts and bought the Powertrax 31-spline piece, but with my automatic I think I'll be fine as is.

Swarzkopf said:
I saw that option and decided not to go that way. I have no faith in clutch style traction-loks at all at this point.

Half of Mustang guys say they're great, half hate them. Fact is, they seem to be hit or miss. I rebuilt mine once only a few months and already was dealing with one wheel peel again. My buddy with an 04 GT has rebuilt his...4 times now I think?

You bought a rebuilt t-lok, I got a brand new locker. If it works for you, good, but like I said I wasn't interested in another clutch style differential.

If I really wanted to step up, I would've converted to 31-spline axle shafts and bought the Powertrax 31-spline piece, but with my automatic I think I'll be fine as is.

Cool, I didnt know you were running an auto. Not nearly as much stress on the rearend.