Pricing A Supposed Collector Car.

Oldy59

Mar 17, 2015
Hello, new here first post, looking for a good source to value a car, I have an 1985 Ford/Mercury McLaren convertible, with the numbered plate/Recarro's ect. I have been having a tough time finding a current value for this vehicle, I looked on the McLaren sites but they are older/archived and not current, contacted Hagety's and they will get back to me, so I thought I would ask here. I got it from a good buddy who got it for his wife, white with blue interior, white bbs wheels, blue convertible yada yada, 90k on body,30k on motor-cracked head replaced with new E303 cam ect. The car has all the stock goodies, my partner put a set of road racing shocks/springs bilstien or similar gas shocks, springs, stainless exhaust, new top, oh he put a gear drive in it, which Im not really fond of, thinking about removing that. Anyway this thing runs well, corners like on rails, but I am wondering what its worth, I know the add ons didn't help the value, and I have all the stock parts to put it back, I may do that soon, especially the gear drive. Anyway if you have a good handle on where to look for a price on this thing please let me know, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Hello, new here first post, looking for a good source to value a car, I have an 1985 Ford/Mercury McLaren convertible, with the numbered plate/Recarro's ect. I have been having a tough time finding a current value for this vehicle, I looked on the McLaren sites but they are older/archived and not current, contacted Hagety's and they will get back to me, so I thought I would ask here. I got it from a good buddy who got it for his wife, white with blue interior, white bbs wheels, blue convertible yada yada, 90k on body,30k on motor-cracked head replaced with new E303 cam ect. The car has all the stock goodies, my partner put a set of road racing shocks/springs bilstien or similar gas shocks, springs, stainless exhaust, new top, oh he put a gear drive in it, which Im not really fond of, thinking about removing that. Anyway this thing runs well, corners like on rails, but I am wondering what its worth, I know the add ons didn't help the value, and I have all the stock parts to put it back, I may do that soon, especially the gear drive. Anyway if you have a good handle on where to look for a price on this thing please let me know, thanks.

Pics please.

Reactions: 1 user
It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. The question is are you looking for an evaluation for insurance purposes or will you be selling the car? Typically the what's it worth threads get moved to the classifieds, if you are looking for an evaluation for your collector insurance that would be a much different discussion

The car insurance place, (spell check will not let me spell h a g e r t y) just ran values on my 91 and a 65. And they have good reason to keep track of current market sales. Your specialty model might be listed.

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. The question is are you looking for an evaluation for insurance purposes or will you be selling the car? Typically the what's it worth threads get moved to the classifieds, if you are looking for an evaluation for your collector insurance that would be a much different discussion
Possibly both, I mean I may keep it if it is actually gaining, but if not possibly selling, but either way I would like to know its value relative to the Mustang market, and or as a collector car, which Im told it is, with the McLaren numbered plate on it. When I got it, it was a good deal, and I was doing a buddy a favor, plus I kinda liked the car.

The car insurance place, (spell check will not let me spell h a g e r t y) just ran values on my 91 and a 65. And they have good reason to keep track of current market sales. Your specialty model might be listed.
I called them, and they where supposed to get back with me, I will try them again.