Problem turning/depressing rear caliper

jaredg16

Oct 30, 2008
I have the cube tool for my rear calipers; however none of the protrusions fit my piston so I had to grind one side to get two of the pieces to fit. I have that resolved now, but I am still having a big problem getting it to turn. The manual says to turn the piston clockwise but it isn't budging at all. I've tried applying as much torque as I can but it doesn't budge. Must I apply inward pressure to the piston, pushing it in as I turn in order to allow the piston to screw in clockwise? Should it take a great deal of force both in turning the piston AND applying the inward force?

Thank you in advance.

Jared

• Sponsors (?)

I have the cube tool for my rear calipers; however none of the protrusions fit my piston so I had to grind one side to get two of the pieces to fit. I have that resolved now, but I am still having a big problem getting it to turn. The manual says to turn the piston clockwise but it isn't budging at all. I've tried applying as much torque as I can but it doesn't budge. Must I apply inward pressure to the piston, pushing it in as I turn in order to allow the piston to screw in clockwise? Should it take a great deal of force both in turning the piston AND applying the inward force?

Thank you in advance.

Jared

http://www.autozone.com/images/products/grn/grn27111003.jpg

AutoZone.com | Shopping | Accessories | Product Detail - OEM Disc Brake Caliper Tool

Jared,

That little cube tool is almost a waste of money. Sometimes it is hard to apply enough pressure to rotate the calipher piston and press in at the same time.

Do yourself a favor and go to AZ and rent the tool (attached links) for $55.00, use it for a couple hours, and return it to get all your money back. It is well worth your time and effort to rent this tool.

I hope this helps.

The Ogre