Project White Trash

Kensgt

May 4, 2009
Columbia,SC
Hey guys. I'm new to the site and thought I'd shared my story. I'm sure it will sound familar to a lot of you. It's my first Fox in about 8 years. last one was an 89 LX 5.0. As everyone says I should not have sold it. Anyway, just got rid of a 99 Pontiac GP GT, yes a Pontiac, but I am back from the dark side. So, I picked up this beauty on 5/1. Well she needs some work, mainly paint and body. It's got a crushed passenger quarter panel and busted rear bumper. And it also messed up the hatch some too. Anyway best estimate on paint and body, minus the parts, is $2000. Then the A/C chitted out on me. Either it's the clutch, bearing or compressor. It started squealing like a stuck pig for weeks when I turned it on, then just stopped altogther. So with paint, body and parts I am looking at around $4000 for what I want to do PLUS the $2800 I paid for it. Man I wish I knew someone around here I could buddy with to help, I don't mind turning a wrench but I am just a basic mechanic. Anyway, I'm glad to be back in the blue oval and I am looking forward to the journey. Check out my picts on my profile, I am not sure how to embed them on a post yet.
kensgt-albums-project-money-pit-picture3718-i-know-i-need-replace-ricer-tailights-i-just-picked-up-some-used-gt-tails-right-now-gonna-replace-lens-some-cobra-ones-after-paint-body-work-done.html

• Sponsors (?)

copy and pasted link kengt's car:

I like the wheels, maybe go with some smoked LX taillights? I think they look good

kensgt-albums-project-white-trash-picture3718-i-know-i-need-replace-ricer-tailights-i-just-picked-up-some-used-gt-tails-right-now-gonna-replace-lens-some-cobra-ones-after-paint-body-work-done.jpg

after seeing the damage on the quarter, i wouldn't have paid $2800 ;/ if it needs 4k in paint and body, you'll quickly be paying lots of money to have an essentially stock fox with rims and a saleen wing

well, I plan on painting mine on my own. Not a body man by any means but I have done my fair share and it isnt going to be a show car. With tips from peeps I think I will have a 2-5 footer. with materials I am looking at about $500.

well, I plan on painting mine on my own. Not a body man by any means but I have done my fair share and it isnt going to be a show car. With tips from peeps I think I will have a 2-5 footer. with materials I am looking at about $500.

Ya i have absolutely no experience in body work or paint at all. A buddy of mine knows how to do it and told me he would charge me 350 to do the body work and have it in primer ready to be painted, but idk what any of the prices to do anything are so i don't know if thats a good deal or not :shrug:

Seems a little steep for a fox with a crinkled fender. Id hit the junkyard and see if you can snag a clean fender... maybe in white. Good luck to ya, cant wait to se what this thing turns into!

Hey thanks for the replies. as for teh pric eI paid, yeah I feel I paid about a grand more than I sdhould have but, I looked for months to find this and I found WORSE that guys were asking over $3000. I am just glad the interior is good and the drivetrain runs well. Besides we don't mind putting a little extra money to restore her, my fiance has always wanted a Mustang to fix up. witch of it is though this is my daily driver so I can't tear her down and work on it as I can get to it. I have to be able to do it and have it back together to get to work. Oh, I have been told $2000 is a decent price for paint and body, which this includes all the jams, under the hood, ect.

2k is a great price for paint and body. If the interior is in good shape and it drives well, then 4800 isnt too bad for a fresh painted clean stocker.

wait make that 5000 because the tail lights have to go.

2k is a great price for paint and body. If the interior is in good shape and it drives well, then 4800 isnt too bad for a fresh painted clean stocker.

wait make that 5000 because the tail lights have to go.

Oh trust me they are! Have some used GT lights on the way and once the paint is done I'll do Cobra's. We know we won't ever get all our money out of it but we don't care, we just want to have some fun building it and driving it.