Drivetrain Pulling my transmission for the first time

The yoke (the part of the driveshaft that slides into the trans) will wear on the spline inside the yoke, also the seal will wear on the outside of the yoke (the shiny spot) it does not take much, can't always feel it with your finger nail, also pay attention to the seal, some have a hole in the rubber and it goes at the top (12 o'clock position) and coat the outside of the yoke with trans fluid.
Note: just think how many revolutions that driveshaft makes per one tire rotation, a 3.73 rear gear, that's almost 4 drive shaft turns per 1 tire rotation, a 26" tire turns 7 76.5 times per mile x 3.73= 2,896.345 times.
Now just for fun multiply that by the miles on your car, you can plug in your own actual rear gear and tire height just for fun, add to that the yoke sliding on the spline as the rear end moves up and down and you get the idea, it's a lot slipping and sliding all the while spinning an astonishing amount of times.
I don't guarantee the math but you get the idea.

• Sponsors (?)

The yoke (the part of the driveshaft that slides into the trans) will wear on the spline inside the yoke, also the seal will wear on the outside of the yoke (the shiny spot) it does not take much, can't always feel it with your finger nail, also pay attention to the seal, some have a hole in the rubber and it goes at the top (12 o'clock position) and coat the outside of the yoke with trans fluid.
Note: just think how many revolutions that driveshaft makes per one tire rotation, a 3.73 rear gear, that's almost 4 drive shaft turns per 1 tire rotation, a 26" tire turns 7 76.5 times per mile x 3.73= 2,896.345 times.
Now just for fun multiply that by the miles on your car, you can plug in your own actual rear gear and tire height just for fun, add to that the yoke sliding on the spline as the rear end moves up and down and you get the idea, it's a lot slipping and sliding all the while spinning an astonishing amount of times.
I don't guarantee the math but you get the idea.
Totally. It's like when people can't comprehend infinity or how much the government has given away in "stimulus." I understand incomprehensible math. Or do I? I get it. Thank you as always.

Tranny change is not that bad. I did it a few years ago. Just make sure you have socket extensions..BE CAREFUL
Gretchen whitmer will eat everyone if you'e not careful. Even your children maybe. Tranny is out. Just used a jack and pulled it out by hand. Was surprisingly light. My issue now is taking the tranny to a shop. Every place I call seems to not know too much and is quoting me drastically different prices just to give me an opinion.

Gretchen whitmer will eat everyone if you'e not careful. Even your children maybe. Tranny is out. Just used a jack and pulled it out by hand. Was surprisingly light. My issue now is taking the tranny to a shop. Every place I call seems to not know too much and is quoting me drastically different prices just to give me an opinion.
If you choose to try to get the tail housing off yourself, you can take it to a shop to press the old bushing out and new bushing in. That’s the route I took, and it cost me $20 and a little bit of time.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
If you choose to try to get the tail housing off yourself, you can take it to a shop to press the old bushing out and new bushing in. That’s the route I took, and it cost me $20 and a little bit of time.
There are tools to change tailshaft bushings without removing the housing.
And that is not my Aussie accent.

View: https://youtu.be/4vAuDKDV-ok

Reactions: 1 user