Purpose of painting an Engine Block?

MeanGreen

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2002
I've seen some recent pics of motor build ups some of you all did and painted the block? Is there a reason for this or just like a colored block? Does it help with protection and wear or something? Just curious as to why its done and the advantages of it. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Simply put..if you take the time to rebuild you would usually want to take the extra effort to make it look cosmetically better...nothing looks worse than a block covered in surface rust...looks better and cleaner to work with. Also steel will aquire surface rust fairly quickly when uncoated and could cause contamination issues during reassembly.

Simply put..if you take the time to rebuild you would usually want to take the extra effort to make it look cosmetically better...nothing looks worse than a block covered in surface rust...looks better and cleaner to work with. Also steel will aquire surface rust fairly quickly when uncoated and could cause contamination issues during reassembly.

Cool..... I plan on doing a new motor build. Waiting till after summer but thats all good to know. Thanks fellas:nice:

The only reason I wouldn't try powder coating the block at home is that I don't have an oven that large...
Otherwise, I would give it a try...

I don't see how powdercoating force heat retention, at least not any more than regular paint would.

jason

You can buy your own powder coating kit for a few hundred bucks.

Yeah, I have my own powdercoting setup, but I just don't have an oven big enough to powder coat my block. ;)

Powdercoating does sound cool....

Does it retain heat ?

They say that Powder coating does retain heat a little more than paint etc, but they make special high heat powders for blocks and headers which are not suppose to retain the heat as much.

The only reason I wouldn't try powder coating the block at home is that I don't have an oven that large...
Otherwise, I would give it a try...

I don't see how powdercoating force heat retention, at least not any more than regular paint would.

jason

I can't remember what type of paint this guy used but he described it as black rough and krinkley looking.He could'nt figure out why he was over heating and after spending a bunch of money it was narrowed down to the paint on the block, so he stripped it and no more over heating.