Question about 17" Wheels

beary58

Jan 20, 2003
Myy 2000 Vert needs new tires, so I was thinking of buying a set of 17 inch wheels and tires on Ebay.

Will I notice much performance difference?

Anything I should watch for from these Ebay deals?

Hey thanks for any advice and help. Oh and if any of you want to post your Mustang with 17s, that would be fine. :D

2000 White Vert

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure about 17's, but I have 18's. It does feel a little slower now that I added like 100-200 pounds in weight. But I like the look a lot better, and I'm 19, so I don't feel the need to do any street racing or going all that fast on the roads. However, if I ever go to the track, I will most likely put my stock rims back on to reduce the rotating weight.

Mine are 18s and I really dont notice much of a performance degridation since putting them on. I must add that I did the catbacks, CAI, and underdrive pullys at the same time so that is probably compensating a bit for the added weight.

I dont drive all that fast but the bigger wider tires grip in the corners much better. Now I just have to get the suspension done so I can reduce the "squirl" factor.

I think you should go for the 18s and get rid of some more of the wheel well space. Just an opinion though. Good luck.

Sooner

18's in my opinion make the 94-98's look even more 4x4ish. I think 17's are a great plenty and tires are quite a bit less with more variety. More people are running 17's nowadays since car manufacturers are putting them on them stock. Just some thoughts :shrug: . I just took my winter rims and tires off and put my 17's back on yesterday.

Thanks guys. I want a better look, but I put 70 miles minimum on my stang every day. So I need some good mileage. I looked at 16"s, but there isn't a lot offered. I like the 17"s and there are a bunch of deals on Ebay. Seems I can get a nice wheel/tire set up for less than $800.

I'm not one for the looks of 18"s, but I imagine they hit the gas pretty hard because ford looked at them for the 05 and decided against them.

Thanks again

2000 White Vert

Hit the gas pretty hard? If that means hurts gas milage, not ture, maybe a fraction, but I noticed nothing and I regularlly check my milage when I fill up. For the 94-98 bodys I think 17's are a better fit, but for 99+ I think 18's are a better fit because the car just looks bigger with the larger side scoops and hood scoop and such. With you driving that much though, I would say go for 17's, you can find great deals on those on ebay like you said, and as long as you are getting tires that are not High Performance, you should be able to get a lot more miles on them.

I order some 18" Satin — I didn't feel the need to be flashy with chrome, and I certainly didn't feel like keeping it clean — Steeda Ultra-lite I's a couple days ago, and they should be in Tuesday, if the people at UPS didn't lie. :D

Depending on what type of wheel you buy, they could most definitely weigh alot more. I believe the wheels I'm getting are 20-24 lbs each. So I'm not expecting to see much a power decrease do to more rotational mass.

I'll post pictures and what not as soon as I get them, and I'll fill you in as far as speed goes.

you wont feel much of a loss with the 17's, maybe even slightly faster because you'll get alittle better grip more than likely. If your used to the stock 15's you'll have to get used to the swerving alittle bit with dips in the roads with the 17's. Just make sure the seller is reputable and depending on your wheel choice, make sure they are decent company, because alot are replicas but that doesn't mean they are bad wheels.

The Tire Rack

I would use the Internet to order Wheels and Tires combo from the Tire Rack. Good prices, they mount and balance the tires on a Hunter balancer, and then ship them to a local dealer for install. As for size, I would go 16" and no more than 17" and choose a light weight wheel. Unsprung weight is not good. The cars suspension is designed for a 15" or 16" wheel. Go for tire quality over size, and that is where you get performace. They sell all but Toyo. Toyo Ts1 is a good tire. You will find Yoko's and Bridgestones and all the name brands except Toyo at The Tire Rack.
Good hunting, Loren

You won't feel any difference in "performance" when going with a larger rim/tire combo. Our stock rims and tires are not light at all. I went from the stock 16" rims to 18" Saleen replicas with low profile tires, and I gained a net 2.5 lbs per corner - 10 lbs. total.

The difference in "feel" during normal driving will be:
1) better handling because of the bigger foot print (the biggest plus).
2) You may feel the car wanting to move laterally up front because it feels more of the road ruts (depends a lot on the tires you buy),
3) your stopping distance may increase slightly,
4) and you may feel more hydro-planing in the rain due to the larger footprint.