Question about 331

Ok, I just found out that my shortblock needs a rebuild.
I think I may go to a 331, but my funds are really thin. I have a friend who may be able to get me a kit at dealer cost. And my shop will zero balance my flywheel cheap.
What I would like to know is how the 331 might be effected by stock heads with 1.84 intake valves installed, and a reasonable amount of port work?
Also, keep in mind, I am going to put an Eaton M-112 blower, from a Lightning, on top of this thing. That is the reason I found the problem with my shortblock to begin with. I was inpspecting it be be sure it can handle the extra juice. I guess not.

So, will fairly stock heads, and a stock cam keep up with a 331 with a roots blower? Or will it fall on it's face about 4500 rpm's?

Also, what do you guys suggest?
Right now, it is the combo in the sig.

• Sponsors (?)

roots blower

My only experience with a roots style blower was on a 351 Sportsman block motor. My guess is you will like the thing on that motor combo, but will wish you had gone with better heads later. The stock(or close)5.0 loves the boost, but I think if you go 331 with stock upper end it may be less than you imagined.
Also, the stock cam is great up to a point, which I think you mentioned the rpm range. Kind of depends, is it only street or street/strip?
What kind of boost do you expect or plan to produce?

B

I'm only going to get 5-6 psi on a 331. What I'm really looking to do is get a motor that will run well on the street. I don't really care, right now, if the motor signs off above 4500. I just want to be prepared for it.
The only reason I'm considering a 331 is because I have to replace the crank. It's thrust is worn out.
I would have been running 8psi with the 306ci setup.

As for mounting the blower, I have a custom manifold made up.
Hold on, let me see if I can get some pics.

Ok... pics of the blower
I hope they show up......

Attachments

• Manifold.jpg
    Manifold.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 75