Question about a chevy engine..

95Mustang302

Mar 30, 2005
There is a 1968 Chevy 3/4 ton truck for sale down the road from our house and my dad is interested in buying it. It has the 292 inline 6, i was wondering if anyone has any insight into the reliability of the engine?

I'm not to concerned with body work and such, but moreso the reliability of the 292 engine.

Thanks in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

These Engines are just like the 60's nova 6's they are pretty reliable, but most people swap the with V8's. A friend of mine has a old nova II with the original inline 6 and it still runs pretty damn good, its been rebuilt once and now has about 64000 miles on the rebuild; the cars actual mileage is 288000 miles. He refuses to sell that damn car, and gets offers on it all the time.

I don't have any experience myself with the 292, but my uncle had one in a '70 shortbed with a 3 spd on the floor. They had it for their farm truck until my cousins got to be driving age. These boys (3) could destroy an anvil, but they never hurt that inline 6. I would have to say that that engine would be a tough engine if they couldn't tear it up. Ford's inline 240 and 300 have a great reputation for reliability also. That 300 is very torquey (sp?) and stout enough to last for a long time. Good luck with your decision.
Phil