question about aluminum ds

• Sponsors (?)

Is anyone using a spydershaft with a FI engine? I've been told to stay away from aluminum unless it's at least 4" for supercharged cars. I've read that 4" shafts can cause clearance issues with lowered cars. I was thinking about going to an aluminum driveshaft but my future plans for FI made me decide to hold off.

Does anyone here have the real scoop on these issues?

Is anyone using a spydershaft with a FI engine? I've been told to stay away from aluminum unless it's at least 4" for supercharged cars. I've read that 4" shafts can cause clearance issues with lowered cars. I was thinking about going to an aluminum driveshaft but my future plans for FI made me decide to hold off.

The Spydershaft has been tested repeatedly at the track with slicks and 500 RWHP.

Powerhouse 4" aluminum shaft.
Bolted in in 45 minutes. If you are not lowered there is no need to change pinion angle. I tested mine to 170 MPH without vibration and have run it for two years at the dragstrip without issue.

Runnin the spydershaft for a year now, with the car lowered on prokit springs, a hurst shifter, bmr adjustable UCA, and the bmr front driveshaft loop. I have zero clearance issues. Ran the car for months without the UCA and it was fine that way as well..

I run a coast ds. I have the prokit springs and have had clearance issues only at the track. I was running ET street slicks and launching at 5000. Cured by adding a little more neg pinion angle and massaging the tunnel with a hammer and grinder.

Oh, and it is a good idea to throw a loop on while you have it apart. Just in case you ever hit the strip with slicks. I put a BMR unit on mine for $99.

Not shifting out of 3rd isn't really a good thing. Gears are a torque multiplier, they get you to the sweet spot faster. Only using 3 gears seems like a lazy sorta run and your not getting the full potential of your engine. If your pounding 6,200 rpm's through 4 gears in the 1/4, your humping. I maybe looking at this all wrong, but with my 4:30's, it screams, the power stays on tap. It pulls hard through 4 gears. It's a lot quicker than it was with the 3:31's. Like I say, I might be looking at this all wrong, but with 3:55's your scrubing off some speed it seems to me.