Question about the 2.3

AndyG47

Aug 20, 2004
Jersey
As you can see by my sig I own a six. But while I was at school today (Lincoln Tech) I saw and old fox body(red gt hatch) and thought it might be nice to possibly own one (after I get a better job) as a comuter car and keep my six as the weekend/show car. Gas milage is ok but could always be better. Seems everytime I turn around I'm tossing $20 into the dam thing.

What I want to know is how is horsepower and gasmilage on the 2.3's both N/A and turbo through a preferable auto trans.

I'm outta Jefferson Township,NJ (Sparta for those of you who need a bigger town, or if you're from around there we sit atop Picatiny Arsenal and a stone's throw from Hercules) my route is about 33 miles/45 mins depending on traffic (why I want an auto) through 3 major highways (RT23, 287, and 202) and a side street or two. Any help appreciated.

Edit: yes i have already tried searching the 2.3 section

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to tell you but the 2.3 auto's are the worst of the worst. Horribly slow and the AOD tends to blow itself up even when precautions are taken (tranny cooler, etc).

'87-90's have speed density and 88 hp. '91-93's have mass air and 105 hp. Gas mileage is generally pretty good with a good tune, I used to get 30 mpg in my '90 running back and forth to school and work (30 or so miles each way on backroads).

If you're really serious about getting a 2.3 you might want to look into learning to drive a stick :shrug:

In my turbo coupe I average 24-25 mpg which is pretty decent for a 3500 lb car. I have to run 93 octane, but that's not a huge deal since there is only 20 cents per gallon difference between 93 and 87.

its already been said, but You dont want a 2.3 auto.. They are slow, and unreliable. If you want a 2.3.. you want 5 speed, And you are probably better off with the 90-93 years, they are a bit higher HP, and i think they tend to be a little more reliable, and get a smidge better milage, also eaiser to mod.

Dr.

Dr_EluSivE said:
...better off with the 90-93 years, they are a bit higher HP, and i think they tend to be a little more reliable, and get a smidge better milage, also eaiser to mod.

Black '93 hatch with silver bottom, tinted windows, flowmaster muffler = :D that's sorta my ideal one for now.

For Red_LX:

You wouldn't happen to know how to take the turbo off a T-bird would you? My dad works with a guy with a 85 2.3L turbo coupe and everytime the wastegate/blow-off valve fires it sends a giant blue cloud of smoke out. It's on it's third or fourth turbo and the wastegate/blow-off has been replaced as well, so now he wants it out.