Quick go-fast tips?

zZsKyZz

Dec 1, 2005
Tonight me and a few guys are going down to my friends fathers farm where he has a freshly paved 1/2 mile road that he just put throughout his farm so he can use his truck to tow ****. He said that we can use it to hang out and race on as long as we all have signed a slip saying that he is not liable for us etc....

Anyway, I have my stang outside and I'm letting it cool down before I go wash it. Do you guys know any tips/tricks that I can do before I go to make my car run a lil' better/faster? I'd like to hopefully beat a SRT4 that will be there...

Thanks.
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Easy stuff:
-BUMP YOUR TIMING!!!!!! search for how, real easy
-remove the spare tire/jack
-run 1/4 tank of gas
-run 40 PSI in the front tires, 25 in the rears
-ice the upper intake between runs
-launch off ide, just floor it

Harder:
-remove front sway bar
-remove rear seat
-remove passenger seat
-run a short belt (bypass a/c, smog, steering)
-remove tailpipes
-remove differential dogbone weight

All this stuff will make a difference, stupid as it may sound. :D

BTW:
Tonight me and a few guys are going down to my friends fathers farm where he has a freshly paved 1/2 mile road that he just put throughout his farm so he can use his truck to tow ****. He said that we can use it to hang out and race on as long as we all have signed a slip saying that he is not liable for us etc....

That might be the coolest thing I have EVER HEARD OF. Good god I envy you. Wow.

I've tried bumping up my timing. The nut on the top of then piece that holds the dist. in is rusted so much that I can't get at it to turn the distributer.. I also don't have a timing light/gun so I'm kinda screwed.

When you say "Launch it" I wanna make sure I have this down right:

One foot on the brake, one foot on the gas.. rev up to about 2.5K then take my foot off the brake and slam the gas down so hard that I break my floor boards?

...Time for me to go search for a tire pressure gauge...

One foot on the brake, one foot on the gas.. rev up to about 2.5K then take my foot off the brake and slam the gas down so hard that I break my floor boards?

Nah, definitely not...I have the same converter as you, and I've found that I get the best launches by NOT brake torquing it. I have my left foot on the brake, my right foot RESTING on the gas, and when I get the go I pop the brake and smash the gas. Seems to propel the car forward pretty good.

No other method has given me a better 60'.

Too bad you can't bump your timing...that really makes a noticeable difference.

And if you live anywhere near Pittsburgh, please invite me to the private drag strip. :D

zZsKyZz said:

Anyway, I have my stang outside and I'm letting it cool down before I go wash it. Do you guys know any tips/tricks that I can do before I go to make my car run a lil' better/faster? I'd like to hopefully beat a SRT4 that will be there...

Thanks.
:SNSign:

That is unbelievably sweet. I would also make sure you have enough room to stop though! That could be a quick :owned:

In a past life I've seen this done... have a guy bring a flashlight with him. He flicks it three times and on the third one you both go. It's a poor man's tree; none of that throw your hands down ambiguous crap. Don't do this past 11 PM or its a noise violation.

You really need to bump your timing. Over time your timing will slip, at least mine did, when I first for the tweecer and I went to make sure it was 10 it was at 8.5ish. I ended up running at 14 with 91 octane... 6 more degrees of timing is a noticeable difference. They sell dizzy wrenches for this, get some liquid wrench, coat that sucka, then go to town.

Swarzkopf gave some great advice, I just have to add this. Move your seat closer up then normal so the wheel is in your lap and the shifter is closer to your body. THe closer your hands are to your body the better hand-eye coordination you have. A NASCAR driver has to take the wheel off to get into the car! I put my left arm on the door arm rest and grab the wheel around 8 oclock and lock that in place too. You want to minimize your lateral movement.

Adam

Well we were there 'till about 12 last night. We were joking around, just throwing the bull and I ended up racing a SRT4 with a aftermarket exhaust, BOV, and electronic boost control. He said he had it set to 17psi. I took out my spare tire, my girlfriend, and my rear seat. I also set my rear tire pressure to 25psi. He beat me twice by about 2 car lengths.

On another note: my friend also raced a integra that had heads, pistons, CAI, exhaust, and pullies done with an automatic trans. My friend has a 2003 neon sxt with exhaust, shortthrow, and CAI.. and my friend won by about 5 feet, lol.

I expected to lose to the SRT4, but it was only by 2 car lengths... now I wanna do something to make my car faster.

Also, last night i did a 3k rev and heard a LOUD pop. At first I thought it was a ring that blew because the car seemed to drive a little funny and have a weird idle.. Then once I turned the car off and back on it seemed to be fine and I drove it about 30 miles back to my gfs then another 10 miles home... she seemed fine...so I donno what it was :(

Probably just a backfire...

2 car lenghts in the 1/4 mile is usually about .2 in ET.

I betcha you could make up that .2 if you did ALL the stuff I recommended (including the timing :D).

Oh, and the fronts are more important than the rears for you, get them up to high PSI next time.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Swarzkopf said:
Nah, definitely not...I have the same converter as you, and I've found that I get the best launches by NOT brake torquing it. I have my left foot on the brake, my right foot RESTING on the gas, and when I get the go I pop the brake and smash the gas. Seems to propel the car forward pretty good.

No other method has given me a better 60'.

x2

Private places to race are great. I personally would try to mark the 1/4 mile.... even cheap reflector stakes would work, or paint the road if the owner will let you. You'll find a lot of Z-28s that will want to run a little ways past the 1/4.... they run better on top end, our cars, not so much. :nice:

Where the hell do you live? Thats some hillbilly sh it!

Signing a waiver won't make a difference. he's still being negligent by letting you guys do illegal activities on his property. You are all being neglegent actually.

Where the hell do you live? Thats some hillbilly sh it!

Signing a waiver won't make a difference. he's still being negligent by letting you guys do illegal activities on his property. You are all being neglegent actually.

Not here in PA.

Here, traffic laws only apply to private property if the owner of the property in question wishes them to be enforced.

For example, a local airport conducts "Flashlight Drags" where they open a landing strip up for street racing one Saturday every month. They charge $20 to race. They are allowed to as there are no traffic laws to enforce on their landing strip.

Residents in the area even tried to get it shut down (due to noise complaints coming and going to the airport, the drags used to go from 8PM-midnight).

So as long as zZsKyZz's state laws are the same as mine, they are fine.