quick heater core ?

red-

Sep 12, 2003
wilbraham, ma
hey guys, do i need to drain the radiator to do this job? i've already got the whole dash pulled apart, but before i remove the inlet/outlet tubes to the core in the bay, i was wondering if i could just plug the tubes while i was working in there, rather than draining the whole system? also, this is a stock core and the tubes are on really tight... would a little wd-40 be my best bet to get them loosened up? thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

red- said:
hey guys, do i need to drain the radiator to do this job? i've already got the whole dash pulled apart, but before i remove the inlet/outlet tubes to the core in the bay, i was wondering if i could just plug the tubes while i was working in there, rather than draining the whole system? also, this is a stock core and the tubes are on really tight... would a little wd-40 be my best bet to get them loosened up? thanks in advance.

You can drain as little as you can stand. The core is below the top of the radiator, so when you pull the hoses off, they will obviously drain. You can pull the hoses and prop them up in the air, if you want to, while you work on the heater. You will only loose a little coolant, but you have to be quick or you will have a mess. Note that after the first hose is off, you have to immediately plug the core, or when you raise the hose, it will drain back through the core.

I prefer to drain the radiator down to the heater level first. Much less mess.

someone already beat me to it...
i would just release the pressure from the radiator. the heater core is above the radiator so its not gonna empty anything out. a little antifreeze will come out....but thats about it. what a horrible job...i did mine a few months ago