Quick MC question

tjnavyblue

Feb 21, 2007
Quick simple question I have after searching the forums-

I have a 1968 coupe which was originally drum/drum. I put the granada discs on the front. I have the prop valve from the Granada. Do I need to change my MC as well?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, you need a disc MC. Disc mc's do not use a residual valve, like drum brakes do. With a drum specific mc, you will find that the front brakes will not release as they should when you lift off the pedal.

Also the fluid reservoir is larger for the disc brakes which will require more fluid over time due to the large piston area.

Yes, you need a disc MC. Disc mc's do not use a residual valve, like drum brakes do. With a drum specific mc, you will find that the front brakes will not release as they should when you lift off the pedal.

Also the fluid reservoir is larger for the disc brakes which will require more fluid over time due to the large piston area.

Note to self: Change out MC.

Is there a recommended MC for this application? A regular old 68 disc/drum?

So disc/drum MC from 68 mustang will work, as well as from a nonpower granada. Anything else - what's this '74 Maverick MC I keep reading about?

Oh, are you running manual (non-power) brakes? I think that all disc brake cars are power assist in 68'.

With manual discs, the Granada MC is your best choice since MC bore sizes usually are different for power and manual brakes. I use the Granada MC on my 65' manual drum to front disc conversions with no braking issues. You may need to do some line adapting to make it work, but most good autoparts stores will have what you need.

I suspect that the 74 Maverick MC may be the same as the Granada, if it has manual (non-power) brakes.