quick question about cobra blocks

• Sponsors (?)

thanks for the info. i searched a bit but didnt find what i wanted to know.
im in the market for a cobra and was just curious about this,.

the 96 to 98 heads respond well to superchargers? thats what i read anyway.

the modulars are new to me, i sold my 93 lx hatch last year and thats the only experience ive had w/ the mustangs ( was a damn nice car)

i want 600rwhp but it looks like it will be easier to get from a modular than a pushrod motor. it also has to be a daily driver. thats what im looking for anyway.

All 4v cobras respond well to forced induction, won't take much to make in the 430rwhp range on a stock longblock. You won't be able to get 600rwhp out of stock 4v cobra engine for long, forged internals would be mandatory.

well im gonna try to get an 03 or 04 so that wouldnt be a worry but if not the internals will for sure be beefed up. im an ase certified tech btw but i havent had any experience w/ modding the 4.6s.

i guess what im really trying to get at is will the aluminum block hold up to that kinda power?

we had a customer where i used to work that has an 03 pushing 800hp and hasnt been inside engine yet but anything else had been upgraded including different s/c.

5.0's 4 ever said:
Teksid aluminum blocks have been proven to take over 1000hp.

I have also heard this from a very reputable source, so my question is why did ford switch to the iron block for the 03/04 cobra? And is the 2001 usa alum block any better or worse or samethan the Teksid? Thanks

OrlandoStang said:
I have also heard this from a very reputable source, so my question is why did ford switch to the iron block for the 03/04 cobra? And is the 2001 usa alum block any better or worse or samethan the Teksid? Thanks
ford switched to iron for reliability. they didnt want to take a chance with the aluminum blocks having issues with the boost.

the usa aluminum blocks are slightly weaker. ive heard that they have a tendency of cracking in half under high amounts of boost/stress. the teksid block do not.

A rail racer buddy of mine was colaborating with Sean Hyland to get a 1000 hp engine together and Sean said it could not be done with any reliability and he would be rebuilding after each pass.

He was told that the aluminum block expanded and he would loose the mains on a regular basis. So, Sean would not build the motor.

He did call back and offer an iron motor 3 years later however.

I was present for one of the calls. So the guy wasn't bull sh1tt1ng.

Oh well, who knows. :shrug:

sawman70 said:
A rail racer buddy of mine was colaborating with Sean Hyland to get a 1000 hp engine together and Sean said it could not be done with any reliability and he would be rebuilding after each pass.

He was told that the aluminum block expanded and he would loose the mains on a regular basis. So, Sean would not build the motor.

He did call back and offer an iron motor 3 years later however.

I was present for one of the calls. So the guy wasn't bull sh1tt1ng.

Oh well, who knows. :shrug:
from my experiances Hyland sucks balls. VT or DSS is the block of choice for most racers currently.