Quick t56 question

cgsnake88

Jun 8, 2009
Toledo, Ohio
I am beginning to prepare for a t56 swap into my 98 cobra for the current t45. I have a Viper spec t56 already, and an 03/04 drive shaft will be on the way soon, and a new 11' 26 spline clutch.

Here's were the question comes in: The transmission was a great deal, but I need a bellhousing still, and I want to verify what I need. Would a cobra t56 belllhousing bolt up? Or do i need some sort of special application housing, since it's from a dodge?

Also, I know this topic has been addressed in other threads, but I just like to be 100 percent certain: The 03/04 drive shaft is the correct length but needs a special, precision 448 hybrid U-joint to connect in the rear, right? Or at least that is one of the possibilities from my limited understanding?

• Sponsors (?)

That is one of the possibilities.

Do you have any local driveshaft shops? I have a 98 Cobra just like you, and I had an aluminum driveshaft custom cut and balanced for $199, and it was hard to beat. The aftermarket driveshafts are nice as well, but I liked the idea of stimulating the local economy and that it was perfect for what I needed.

Viper T56 is an industry term that is somewhat misleading, chances are, it is not coming out of a Viper, but it is built to the same internal specifications of the Viper T56. There are actually quite a bunch of cars running Tremec T56s, but the Viper is bulit to the most powerful specs (some Aston Martins, Camaros, Cobras, Vettes, and Vipers).

Did you get a 03-04 Cobra bellhousing with your transmission? I could be wrong, but I believe that'll just bolt right up since the 4.6 block was the same throughout the 96-04 Cobra run. However, I don't believe your 98 T-45 will.

The transmission is out of an actual Viper, although I don't remember the year off hand. So a bellhousing for the ford t56 should work in that case. I just was making sure that the bellhousing on the transmission side were interchangeable. It didn't come with any bellhousing, but i found one on ebay for a fairly reasonable price. I can't wait to dig into this project and cruise in that .50 6th gear!

Are the viper transmissions electric or mechanical speedo'd? One more thing i will have to alter possibly...

The transmission is out of an actual Viper, although I don't remember the year off hand. So a bellhousing for the ford t56 should work in that case. I just was making sure that the bellhousing on the transmission side were interchangeable. It didn't come with any bellhousing, but i found one on ebay for a fairly reasonable price. I can't wait to dig into this project and cruise in that .50 6th gear!

Are the viper transmissions electric or mechanical speedo'd? One more thing i will have to alter possibly...

I don't know about a T56 directly out of a viper, but with the "Viper spec" T56 I bought from D&D a couple years ago I just pulled the white plastic gear out of the pass. side of my old T45 and hooked it to my new trans :nice:

Oh and on a side note, with my 96, I didn't see any connection for the reverse lockout so you might have to make a switch for it or just block the actuator. I used a dime to block it and just screwed it back in :D

My T56 is out of a 2006 Viper. A "Viper Spec" is a non Viper T56 built up to Viper Specifications. A Viper T56 has a longer input shaft than a Cobra T56, so you will need some custom work done to bolt the Viper T56 up using a Cobra bell. A Viper T56 will have a Viper emblem cast into the shifter boss on the case.
22053500074_large.jpg

Forgot to mention, the Viper T56 VSS is 3 prong. Ground, 5v, and speed signal. Do some research and you can find some work-around for this. I don't have ABS so I used an ABS sensor from the IRS to send a signal to a programmable Autometer electric speedo.

Hi, I got a Viper T56 also (real one) and wanted to know what is required to swap it into my Cobra. The input shaft is different? If I buy an input shaft for a Cobra, it will work. Right?
If you're going to swap a Cobra input shaft into the Viper T56 you are defeating the purpose of having a Viper tranny. The Viper input shaft is longer and 26 spline. The trick is to get a Viper input shaft that is shortened and has pilot turned down to the Ford bearing. Or, take your Viper shaft and have it machined. The tailshaft is a different spline so you will need a Mopar yoke.
The VSS are different, I didn't use the one on the tranny for my speedo. You can swap this out for the Ford one.
I was told the shifters will not swap but if they do please tell us. MGW tells me I can't use their Cobra shifter on my Viper T56. I think the difference is the Viper shifter twists forward and to the left, where the Cobra one leans rearward centered.

If you're going to swap a Cobra input shaft into the Viper T56 you are defeating the purpose of having a Viper tranny. The Viper input shaft is longer and 26 spline. The trick is to get a Viper input shaft that is shortened and has pilot turned down to the Ford bearing. Or, take your Viper shaft and have it machined. The tailshaft is a different spline so you will need a Mopar yoke.
The VSS are different, I didn't use the one on the tranny for my speedo. You can swap this out for the Ford one.
I was told the shifters will not swap but if they do please tell us. MGW tells me I can't use their Cobra shifter on my Viper T56. I think the difference is the Viper shifter twists forward and to the left, where the Cobra one leans rearward centered.

I thought a 26 spline Cobra T56 Input shaft is the same strength as the Viper input shaft strength wise?

The output shaft takes a 31 spline yoke correct?

With the shifter, it sounds like your describing the 4 bolt shifter plate. I would replace that with a aftermarket short shifter unit from MGW or someone else.

Jeez, sounds like I got the wrong transmission.. what a shame, thought this would be = to or > to the viper specs.

I thought a 26 spline Cobra T56 Input shaft is the same strength as the Viper input shaft strength wise?

The output shaft takes a 31 spline yoke correct?

With the shifter, it sounds like your describing the 4 bolt shifter plate. I would replace that with a aftermarket short shifter unit from MGW or someone else.

Jeez, sounds like I got the wrong transmission.. what a shame, thought this would be = to or > to the viper specs.

you're not listening.

you're not listening.

Please explain what part of your response I missed in my reply.

I guess I'll re-reply. Why is swapping a Cobra input shaft defeating the point of having a Viper tranny? I thought the pros to a Viper tranny are the .5 over drive, strengthened output shaft and strengthened input shaft. You can upgrade your Ford T56 10 spline input shaft to a 26 spline unit, and I assume that that would equally compare in strength to the Viper input shaft. But the Ford T56 input shaft is compatible with my Cobra where as the Viper unit is not.

As far as the output shaft, isn't a Ford T56 a 29 or 30 spline shaft while the viper ones have 31 spline?

from what i understand. to swap almost any non ford t56 in to a ford you would need
  • T56 ford cobra clutch housing [$300]
  • T56 ford cobra mid-plate [$300]
  • T56ford cobra extension assy. (tail housing) [$300]
  • a factory 10 spline input shaft or an upgraded 26 spline unit with aftermarket clutch to match
you will need to modify the tail housing to match the bigger (O.D.) bearings of the viper tail shaft. you will also need to find and modify the speedometer wheel from an 03/04 to the viper shaft.

ford output shafts are 27 spline
viper output shafts are 30 spline

I have seen an aftermarket bell housing to fit a GM (Government Motors:D) t56 to a mod motor. So you might be able to find a GM mid-plate and use it and the before mentioned bell housing. But the cost might be a wash.

these are the big ticket items you will need. if you wanted to you could upgrade some of the internals while you were there. One good thing about having a viper t56 to start with is there are fewer mods on the inside to bring it up to the best you can get.