Raceway showdown!!

Dave00GT

Aug 17, 2004
New Jersey
Okay guys! This coming friday (Aug. 27th) there's going to be a little showdown with the guys that I work with here. They've been arguing over who's cars fastest for awhile now, so they finally settled on setting a track date. Now I wasn't planning on attending this track date to race them, I was already planning on going just for some testing. But since we're all going, I'm sure this is going to turn into a war! First let me give you the line-up!! (all information about 1/4 mile times was obtained at http://www.ssmoparmuscle.com/speedcomp.htm?NORDERBY=make&OORDERBY=make&OORDERDIR=ASC
I've found that this website is pretty damn accurate with their 1/4 miles)

Car # 1
2003 Subaru WRX STI (AWD) (man.)
4cyl. 2.5L Turbo Charged (intercooled) 300hp@6000rpm 300ft.lb@4000rpm
Mods: None - Stock
est. 1/4 mile time: 13.2sec.
Driver's best time: N/A ,first run (he states his friend car ran a best of 13.8 stock)

Car # 2
2003 Mitsubishi EVO (AWD) (man.)
4cyl. 2.0L Turbo Charged (intercooled) 271hp@6500rpm 273ft.lb@3500rpm
Mods: None - Stock
Est. 1/4 mile time: 13.6sec
Driver's best time: 14.3sec.

Car # 3
2003 Toyota Celica GTS (FWD) (man.)
4cyl. NA 1.8L 140hp@6400rpm 125ft.lb@5200rpm
Mods: CAI kits, Catback Exhaust
Est. 1/4 mile time: 15.6sec
Driver's best time: 15.4sec

Car # 4
1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (FWD) (auto)
6cyl. Supercharged 3.8L 240hp@5200 280ft.lb@3200rpm
Mods: Custom K&N Cone Intake
Exhaust replacement
180 degree Thermostat
Performance Plug Wires
'U-Bend' Replacement
3.25" SC Pulley
MSP Tranny Pan
Rockers
Muffler upgrade
Removed Resonator
Engine Heat Shield
MSP Cold Airbox
Est. 1/4 Mile time (stock): 15.0sec
Drivers best time: 13.03sec

And lastly

Car # 5
2000 Ford Mustang GT (RWD) (man.)
V8 4.6L 260hp@5250rpm 302ft.lb@4000rpm
Mods: MagnaFlow MagnaPak Exhaust
Est. 1/4 mile time: 14.10sec
Driver's best time: N/A (first time out!)

So thats the line up! Now there might be one more guy coming with a Chevy pickup truck that he dropped an LS1 motor in that runs low 13s. But I don't know all of his specs.

So lets see your predictions!

Obviously my Stang will have a hard time hanging with all of them except for the Toyota (don't even know why this kid wants to race the other guys..but ok!). My main purpose for going is to run a few times before I do any mods. While all of these guys are talking smack to each other, I've kept my mouth shut and agreed that those cars are pretty fast and won't be really a fair match for me. BUT, and here's the BUT! Take a look at the "Drivers best time" for the EVO and the STI. This is what has me maybe somewhat hopeful that these may be close races. The guy with the EVO I don't think knows how to drive and most EVO's I've seen at the track have run high 13s to low 14s.
Granted, I'm looking to get a low 14 for myself. I'd be really happy with a 14.0-14.4. But who knows, every car is different and the Mustang might have a chance if one of these guys slips up. Now I'd say every driver is about equal in skill. Except for the GTP guy, he has an auto and a ton of mods. He may break the 12s on friday because he just recently had the thing tuned.

So what do you think!?

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

i think that you will not run those times your first time out. My first time out, I ran 11 times and my best time is on the left. Granted, I spun my tires most of the way through 1st and part of 2nd. I am going back tonight and trying to learn to slip the clutch better. That will be the key to good times. Practice slipping your clutch and launching with little or no spin. I was cutting 2.5-2.6 60fts all night. Hope to get those down to about 2.1-2.2 tonight. You are not as out-classed as you may think, just get a good launch and you just might beat that STi

Wow, you were spinning through 1st and part of second? Thats bad right there. I've been practicing launching lately, and I've got slipping the clutch out pretty good. I raced an old (96ish) BMW M3 the other day at a light, on my launch I barely spun the tires and stayed side by side with him until I shifted to third, then I pulled on him pretty good. Thats the thing you can't "drop" the clutch in with the Stang, she just won't hook up. You need to slip the clutch out as fast as you can without breaking the tires free. Takes alot of practice but I've been getting pretty good at I feel. And when I launch, it feels like I'm launching pretty fast. Friday will tell, but I don't want to go there thinking I'm going to beat those guys, because then if I get :owned:
it won't hurt so bad! At least I accept the fact that I'm the underdog and whatever happens happens!