Rag Top NHRA question?

A friend of mine with a Conv Vette that runs 12.8 - 13.0's was approached at the track Sunday that the new NHRA rules require any Conv running 13.99 or below requires a roll bar or cage. What is up with that? Is this new? Does this mean that all Conv Cobra's cannot race without a bar or cage?

• Sponsors (?)

seidler said:
A friend of mine with a Conv Vette that runs 12.8 - 13.0's was approached at the track Sunday that the new NHRA rules require any Conv running 13.99 or below requires a roll bar or cage. What is up with that? Is this new? Does this mean that all Conv Cobra's cannot race without a bar or cage?

Yeap, its true. Convertibles have to have a roll bar based upon NHRA. This is not a new rule. Sometimes it is not enforced. Some tracks are not NHRA sanctioned and don't have to enforce this rule.

NHRA:
4.5 ROLL BAR

Roll bar mandatory in all cars running 11.00 (*7.00) to 11.99 (*7.49) and in convertibles running 11.00 (*7.00) to 13.99 (*8.59), and in dune-buggy type vehicles running 12.00 (*7.50) seconds and slower. Permitted in all cars. See General Regulations 4.10, 10.6.

I just found out that a five point harness is required along with a helmet. Rollbar padding is required @135mph.

Rogue Cobra