Ram Release Brg Trouble

anthony05gt

Mar 18, 2006
Maryland
I just installed a Ram release brg in my son's '05 along with a Centerforce DFX set up. I bought it from JPC where I always get my parts. Justin called me and warned me before I installed it about some of the units having knicked o-rings from possible lack of lubrication or hasty assembly. I pulled the piston out of the housing and sure enough there were knicks in one of the o-rings. Justin had Ram air freight o-ring kits to him and I installed the new ones using lubrication and some patience to make sure I didn't tear them.

Anyway, I got the car back together after properly shimming the release brg, bled the system, checked for leaks....all good. My son went out and got maybe 15-20 miles from home and the slave just puked brake fluid out all over the road. He lost all clutch control. He called me and I gave him the run down on how to drive the car home without any clutch pedal. Today, we pulled the transmission out and found one of the o-rings pushed completely out of the unit and was shreaded. My initial thought here is that the tolerances must be too tight and when the engine heats up and transfers heat to the bearing things must be getting even tighter do to the heat. After that, the o-ring just shreaded and pushed out. Justin tends to think it's probably something like that too.

I'm sending it back to Ram and I want a full refund. We already ordered a McLeod bearing like the one I have in my '05 which I might ad leaked for a couple of weeks after I put it in too. It completely stopped leaking and I never had to ad any brake fluid to the reservoir because the leak was so small. The McLeod unit hasn't leaked at all for a couple of months. So far so good. Got a seal kit in the garage just in case, but I think it will be fine.

Here are a few pics of exactly how this thing looked today as the transmission came out.

View attachment 308088

View attachment 308089

View attachment 308090

• Sponsors (?)

sorry to hear it. but what is going to happen with the clutch and flywheel. if it helps at all i have had good luck with ram in person. i use to live in columbia sc and ram had some great customer service. wish you luck.