Random acts of s@#* talking

So on my way home from work last night I stoped at Fred Myer to pick up some things. I go check if any new magazine issues are out. There are a couple people standing around reading. I thumb through 5.0 as another guy walks up. I grab Modified Mustang and out of now where this guy says "Bet my nova would spank your mustang!" I was some what caught off guard. Now, Ive never been one to back down, so I replyed, Is that a fact, you wanna bet? Now he looked a little taken back. I asked him what his car ran and he proudly replyed, "11.50's!" I told him that was pretty impressive but my car ran 10.90's while it was my driver. I pretty much tuned him out about then. He was mumbling something about slicks, nitrous and some s-10 he used to have the beat punk kids for a while then walked away. The people that were reading got a good chuckle out of it. Just thought I would share my funny story. Guess I look like a punk to boat anchor bowtie boys? L8r.:shrug: :owned:

• Sponsors (?)

People like that give all racers a bad name as it just makes all of us look stupid. I have had that happen a couple of times by muscle car drivers when I was still building and driving imports and it's fun to take out a couple 10 second timeslips and shut them up. :D

I get this a one quite a bit:

"is that your mustang?"
"yep"
"5.0?"
"yep"
"I bet my camaro would beat it"
"maybe"
"Its got 400 horse... blah blah...wheelies full 1/4 mile....blah blah... nitrous... parachute...... blah blah...not street legal.... "
"sweet"
"I've beat probably 100 of those 5.0s"

Its pretty much once or twice a week, and usually spoken by someone sporting a greasy mullet, either riding a bicycle or driving a beat up 77 datsun pickup with multi colored body panels.

Like I give a sh** who can beat me, the car is practically stock!

....so the ol'man and I go stop by Baxter the other day to get some ATF, and a set of valve cover gaskets, etc... just stuff. Anyhow were walking in, and two kids (probably early 20s?) are pulling up in a early 70 nova, needs alott of tlc, but has potential.

Were inside waiting for the guy to return from the back with gaskets and what-not... and the kids are trying to decide what tach to buy.

Kid A looks over at me and says "ya gotta have a good tach, when she's turnin' 10 thou"

I start to laugh, and turn away trying not to incite a fist fight, and then have to spend the afternoon in jail...

My dad looks over and says "Kid, my rail had more in the heads than you've got in yer' whole car, and it only spun 8800 in the lights, you wouldn't know 10 grand if your girlie was turnin it on your d**k."

I almost pee'd myself I was laughing so hard at this point.

The two kid's decided to go shopping elsewhere...

DD
:flag: :nice:

ddonaca351 said:
....so the ol'man and I go stop by Baxter the other day to get some ATF, and a set of valve cover gaskets, etc... just stuff. Anyhow were walking in, and two kids (probably early 20s?) are pulling up in a early 70 nova, needs alott of tlc, but has potential.

Were inside waiting for the guy to return from the back with gaskets and what-not... and the kids are trying to decide what tach to buy.

Kid A looks over at me and says "ya gotta have a good tach, when she's turnin' 10 thou"

I start to laugh, and turn away trying not to incite a fist fight, and then have to spend the afternoon in jail...

My dad looks over and says "Kid, my rail had more in the heads than you've got in yer' whole car, and it only spun 8800 in the lights, you wouldn't know 10 grand if your girlie was turnin it on your d**k."

I almost pee'd myself I was laughing so hard at this point.

The two kid's decided to go shopping elsewhere...

DD

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually got it from the guy behind the counter at napa the other day, I went in to get a fuel pump blockoff plate and gasket because I switched the cobra over to the early timing cover.

I of course get the "what year..." and not thinking I said it was a '94 Mustang, etc. then I realised what he was asking for and I changed my mind and told him a '71 with a 302. but his curiosity was up by then so I had to explain what it was for.

"It's for my '94 cobra drag car, I switched to an early timing cover because the stock dipstick location didn't work well with the turbo headers and downpipes"

"Turbo eh? What's it run at the track?"

"best so far is a 9.17 @ ~152mph, hope to run into the 8's this year"

"No, what's it run in the 1/4 mile..."

:rolleyes: "that is 1/4 mile, it went 5.94 to the 1/8 at 122ish"

:skeptical look from counter guy:

/me pulls out timeslip from wallet

:impressed look from counter guy:

I usually try to go in with a part number allready when I can for stuff for the cobra just to avoid these types of conversations but sometimes I slip and get roped in.

HEHE yeah but look how you got to shut his arse down pog!!! I loved doing that with the MG.. I had the same issues with the mix mash motor. Man I wish some of these parts jockeys knew ANYTHING about cars, but that's another thread....

Perhaps, but nobody races me, at least people who don't know me don't challenge me. Which is fine; it keeps me out of trouble. To my memory I've had three stoplight challenges in the two years I've been driving this car, and one was from a '71 Fastback. I've had people rev, but once I rev back, they STFU, throw me a wave, and smile. :nice:

Driving this car feels the way I'd imagine it feels to be a big, muscle-bound guy with a scar across his neck and a visible BORN TO KILL tattoo. Which is why I built it the way I did -- satin black with a Jolly Roger instead of a Mustang on the grille, and with dual-quads and a Hilborn rising up from a hole in the hood. Nobody screws with me. I think of it as winning by forfeit.

EDIT: Pic, since my sig isn't showing up:

231236988_l.jpg

ddonaca351 said:
Of course you could meet em' half way and run a 6-71 (bds, mooningham, etc) then you get to have big intimidation, AAANNNDDDD boost.

DD

Someday. Maybe. Of course, a roots blower on a 5.0 is like sandblasting a Ritz cracker; it'd cost me more than I built the car for just to build the engine out to handle the blower. (I built my ride with $2000, a sledgehammer, & a $#!+load of band-aids.) I'd LOVE to put a 4-71 on it (I've got the hood clearance :nice: ) but Holley has a corner on the SBF roots blower intake market. The freakin' intake costs as much as the blower. WTF?

But by the time I build a forged internal, 4-bolt 393 or 408 with a 4-71, I'm 5 grand into a new project, so I might as well chuck the MII body and drop the powertrain into a chopped '51 Business Coupe or Merc:

History1999.jpg

-- add the blower, carbs, scoop, and attendant hole in the hood, and this is where I'm going in the long run. My next build -- my big-money build -- will be a pro-street one of these ^^^

What sucks is, after another 15-20 grand, I'll get the same effect I'm getting right now with the penny-ante POS Knucklebreaker MustaPinto from hell -- everyone scared $#!+less of me and no one wanting to race. :shrug:

The difference, of course, is that my next build will hopefully be scare-guys-like-Waterpog fast, not just fun, scare-the-ricers fast. But scaring ricers is still fun. Real fun.

Im sure BDS can get ya a manifold to go with their iron lung... and the whole kit is only like 2500. Another 5 for the motor to live under it, 1 for a trans, 2 for a midgit 9" behind em both and youre set! See thats only like 11-12 :D muuuuch cheaper than you thought. :rolleyes:

Oh btw, a 4-71 probably wont feed a 393 unless ya spin the rat-s**t out of it, and then you'll loose all your gains to heat. A 6 would work good, about 20-30% under should get ya 6-8lbs at redline. (and probably 600 and change)

As long as ya dont turn the blower too hard, the evaporative effect from the carbs makes a nice IC for the heat in the rotors, plus with modern teflon lined lobes and stuff... they're even better then they were in the "good ol' days".

(man I love to spend money I dont have.... come on lottery!!!!!)

Later,
Dave-