Engine real main seal while in the car

srtthis

the guy doing it does every local racers rear end
15 Year Member
Jul 3, 2009
Maryland
a buddy of mines 95 cobra has a leaky rear main seal...
whos had luck pulling it out and installing it while in the car with out pulling the pan and rear main off?

• Sponsors (?)

I have done them many times without touching the pan. A few tips (as if you didn't know) would be to be careful not to gouge the metal around the seal on removal. I use a small screw driver, hammer and I lay something across the crank if I wanna pry. Clean the area out good with a small screw driver and some brake clean. Then I grease the seal inside and the edge of the crank, I also ALWAYS apply a light coat of Permatex non hardening sealer to the outside of every seal. It makes it go in easier and seals imperfections in the seal to cap. Tap it in with a large socket till its flush. Don't forget some pipe sealant on the flywheel bolt threads.

Yea I heard putting sheet metal screws in it to pull it out. Figure that and a few picks I can get it out. Getting it in was my biggest worry

I did mine in my car when i did the stick conversion. I pried it out carefully, and just used something flat when re installing. I then took a dab of silicone on my pinky and smeared it in the crack between the block and the seal.No more oil leaking.